Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I´m new at ClubB5 and I´m getting my first mechanical problem with My B5 1.8T - 99. The engine start but it dies 1 sec after and if I hold the throttle the car can´t hold the rotation and keep oscillating.... :crazy:
What thing can cause this kind of problem?
Some fuel injection problem?
Maybe someone has passed thru the same problem. :???:

Thanks!

Eduardo Assais

P.S.: Sorry about my English i don´t have much people to practise

·
Registered
750 Posts
Is your check engine light on? If so see if your parts store will read the code(s) for you.

From reading your description it sounds like the car will start but runs really rough and you have to stay on the gas to keep it running.

You might want to check your timing belt and see if it's tight and has all of its teeth. If it jumped a couple of teeth you'd get behavior like this. Don't drive it if the belt isn't in good shape because if it slips too far you'll bend all of your valves. I just noticed that you're only at 32K miles. Normally timing belts last until 60K+ miles so the timing belt probably isn't the problem.

Coil packs could be the problem. You could pull them out one by one to see which one(s) aren't working. When removing one doesn't change the car's starting/running behavior then it's not working. They're about $35 here in the US right now if you need to replace them. They might even be recalled (free).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Humm Coil Pack wasn´t checked yet I´ll try it day after tomorrow and we will try pass an scanner to see what the car told us. :suspicio:
I think the timing belt was checked at 30k kilometers but I don´t remember if it was replaced or not but if it was the problem the car wont start so many times right?

Thx

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Try a search on ICM and another on MAF. See if your symptoms are similar. The warranty has been extended for the MAF, so you may want to check with a dealer on that. THe ICM is very easy to change yourself to save a lot of money.

One of these two caused my car to barely idle. My exhaust was black and my spark plugs were black (too rich fuel mixture). The dealer said both were bad - they replaced the MAF, and I drove it home running fine. I replaced the plugs and ICM (since I had already ordered it).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked for those problems but I saw that all the cars that has MAF problem seems to cause a low power to the engine but my car had to be
towed because the rotation doesn't pass thru 1000 rpm! :cry:
The ICM problem is quite close to mine the battery has been sucked either so the engine only starts when I put another battery on it and the
alert light on the panel was "on" only when the battery was low. :???:

We are still looking for the problem! :suspicio:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
eAssais
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing