Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been some great write-ups regarding how to replace the valve cover gasket for the 1.8t. Does anyone have pictures of what it looks like on a 30v V6?

I'm leaking on my passenger side.... right in the front by the Air Filter Box.... and would like to do the job myself....the dealer said to do it for both sides would cost $516!!!!!

Should I be overly concerned doing this, or would a torque wrench, some sealant, and a little guts and patience take care of it????

(For you V6 owners) - Did you have to drain the oil? It looks like the cover is at quite an angle, much more than the 1.8t's. (Probably the first of a few questions)

THANKS!

·
Registered
93 Posts
you do not have to drain the oil

it's easily replacable and the gasket is around $100 i think

it was at least a year and a half then i replaced both sides on mine

but be shure its the upper one that is demaged cause that one is easy

if its the middle gasket itss gona be a bummer

resko

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm the second owner... with 56k, on a 2001 GLX.... so I believe I'm out of luck on the warranty issue.

Do I have to have a vag-com to do anything, I'm concerned about disconnecting a wrong sensor....etc????

Looks like there is a lot in the way in getting to both valve covers

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is a good thread, I have a 200 GLX that I have already replaced the valve cover gaskets on and still have a leak in the same place, passenger side at the rear. I got the gaskets from ECS and they matched the old ones. Made sure the surfaces were clean even torqued them down to 10 NM in steps and it still leaks.

I cannot feel the oil on the back of the head just on the lower rear corner. Any one know what the trick is to get this on without leaks. I like to do all my own work but am about to give up and take it to the dealer. :???:

·
Loose female member
4,885 Posts
IDriveaGLX said:
There have been some great write-ups regarding how to replace the valve cover gasket for the 1.8t. Does anyone have pictures of what it looks like on a 30v V6?

I'm leaking on my passenger side.... right in the front by the Air Filter Box.... and would like to do the job myself....the dealer said to do it for both sides would cost $516!!!!!

Should I be overly concerned doing this, or would a torque wrench, some sealant, and a little guts and patience take care of it????

(For you V6 owners) - Did you have to drain the oil? It looks like the cover is at quite an angle, much more than the 1.8t's. (Probably the first of a few questions)THANKS!
Here are some pics when i did mine.
It's been about 6 months now and still no leaks.
Just make sure that the sealing surfaces are clean before rebuilding.
Oh and don't forget the gasket sealant.

Pictures removed from the grave.

·
Registered
186 Posts
MADGLX said:
I cannot feel the oil on the back of the head just on the lower rear corner. Any one know what the trick is to get this on without leaks. I like to do all my own work but am about to give up and take it to the dealer. :???:
MADGLX, It sounds like you did a good job on your valve cover gaskets. You may have a leak at the cam tensioner; this is a common problem for the 30v 2.8. Unfortunately, the fix is quite involved. You have to remove the timing belt, cams, and cam tensioner. Hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds like this guy fixed our same problem on his own. I really don't want to take mine to the stealership. NO way jose!

nhspike
Neutral Join Date: Nov 2004

Annoying oil smoke

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings all!

Newbie here, and the proud owner of a 2001.5 Passat, V6, tiptronic.

I have had the car about a month now... and love it.

Like some others here (I've combed the old posts), I've had a problem with oil smoke coming from a drip drip drip on the exhaust manifold (passenger side).

Well, rather than taking it back to the butchers at the dealership, I decided to fix it myself.

I started with a new valve cover gasket about 2 weeks ago... but that didn't cure it.

Last night, I installed a new cam chain tensioner gasket, and seal plug.

This seems to have worked.

Anyhow, it did not require special tools, or camshaft removal (like the manual says).

There is just enough room under the tensioner assy to sneak the new gasket/plug under, with the cams in position.

It takes some fancy finger-work and a bit of finesse, but I'm living proof that it can be done.

hehe

It took 2.5 hours (3 beers) to complete... so far, no leaking!

Thanks for all the good infomation, and interesting posts!

spikey

·
Registered
8 Posts
Leak on my 2001 V6, does anybody have working links to replacing valve cover gaskets?

I just got my passat about a month ago, at a great price and with some problems... I fixed the power window on the drivers door with the threads posted here (thanks!!), I'm about to order the pcv breather hoses (mine are taped together, lol, not even duct tape but masking tape...)

The biggest issue is an oil leak, and I'm pretty sure it the valve cover gasket, since it's oily and has a sort of putty around it. My guess is somebody tried to fix it but didn't do very well, gave up and decided to sell the car. Hopefully I'll be able to do it, if not, what's the worse case scenario? The gasket is like $40, I figure I can try a few times and if I can't do it then take it into a shop. $280 or $320 (if I mess up and waste a gasket) isn't a huge difference.

BTW I bought the whole door assembly with the window regulator mounted on for about $70, it made fixing a power window quite easy, probably easier than messing with just the plastic clips.

Any tips before I attempt the valve cover gasket would be appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
Brains!!!!

Sometimes Zombie Threads are awesome! I am having the exact same problem. Should have it done with the timing belt next week, but can't afford another $400 on top of that (straight from college to being a public school teacher... Some :thumbup:, some :thumbdown, lots of :banghead:).

Great thread. Glad to see it resurrected!

·
Registered
8 Posts
valve cover gasket, cam chain gasket and timing belt?

Thanks for the replies :D, I didn't think they'd come this fast. Stealerships beware, we are spreading the word on how do things ourselves...

I've been reading that doing the gaskets and replacing the timing belt, which is coming soon anyway, are a good idea to do together. Not sure I want to tackle the timing belt myself, we'll see what quotes I get from the shop.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had the same problem with an oil leak from the valve cover gasket. I replaced both upper valve cover gaskets about a year ago and the oil problem went away but now its begining to resurface since the weather has gotten cold. I have the v6.
Is it possible too much pressure build up??

Anythoughts as to why its doing this again would be helpful
thanx

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the replies :D, I didn't think they'd come this fast. Stealerships beware, we are spreading the word on how do things ourselves...

I've been reading that doing the gaskets and replacing the timing belt, which is coming soon anyway, are a good idea to do together. Not sure I want to tackle the timing belt myself, we'll see what quotes I get from the shop.

Thanks again!
I wouldn't recommend doing the timing belt yourself unless you have very good knowledge and skilled. Valve cover gaskets are much easier and much less time consuming then timing belt. I'd found a mechanic who specializes in VW/audi. not the stealership.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,620 Posts
I had the same problem with an oil leak from the valve cover gasket. I replaced both upper valve cover gaskets about a year ago and the oil problem went away but now its begining to resurface since the weather has gotten cold. I have the v6.
Is it possible too much pressure build up??

Anythoughts as to why its doing this again would be helpful
thanx
because your PCV system is most likely clogged.
Look in the info forum on what to get and how to do it.
Also ECS tuning sells a vented oil filler cap for $25...get it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
oil leak plus smoke 2.8

its 99% camshaft seal plugs .gasket hardly go if you dont want to do job your self shop around small vw pro shop not dealer/crook job with them 1000 bucks small pro the most parts and labor 400 with warr like dealer 12000 or year the long life trick silicone cam plug when installing be care ful with the breather tube if orig it will crack if car has over 100000 change it run arouund 80/100 buck good luck p.s if kids drive in this car change cabin air filter easy your self

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,900 Posts
its 99% camshaft seal plugs .gasket hardly go if you dont want to do job your self shop around small vw pro shop not dealer/crook job with them 1000 bucks small pro the most parts and labor 400 with warr like dealer 12000 or year the long life trick silicone cam plug when installing be care ful with the breather tube if orig it will crack if car has over 100000 change it run arouund 80/100 buck good luck p.s if kids drive in this car change cabin air filter easy your self
jeez, I had a hard time deciperhing this post.

welcome to PW - we pride ourselves here on trying to construct reasonably decent sentence structure, so please try to be a little more attentive to it?

also, please open your User Cp and put in the pertinent info - location/year/make/model/engine/etc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
16 Participants
stevenkin
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing