Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and it starts idling really rough. I give it a little gas, barely any, just to try to get the fuel pumping. It seemed like a fuel delivery problem, but I could be wrong. Then the CEL comes on flashing. I don't understand why after 3 days of not being started, this would happen. My tails are with jonboy at the moment, so I can't drive it, but I started it the other day and let it run for a few minutes.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Flashing CEL = trip to the dealer or VAG-COM. You certainly don't want to drive it that way. Of course, letting us know exactly which Passat you have would help get us started on wild-guesses as to what the problem could be.

SirWired

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I dunno.... I have gone much longer than 3 days without starting my car and I haven't had any problems :roll:. Maybe you started the engine and stopped it really quickly last time, and left some gas in contact with the spark plugs. Check them to see if they are fouled up.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Wild guess would be- spark plugs and/or plug wires. If it would be fuel delivery it should not be noticable on idle (except if fuel filter is clogged and/or your car is on last drop of gasoline from tank and it sucked dirt from bottom).Problem with fuel delivery is noticable when engine must pull weight of car and there is no enough fuel delivered to chambers. when car is idling usualy there is enough fuel to run engine smooth. In case of plugs and/or wires they will "betray" immediately by not delivering enough power or sparks to ignite A/F mix.

probably you will get code "misfiring".cables are prone to crack after steady use and than you make pause of 2-3 days and than give them load of voltages so inner graphite is simply cracking.Clean tips of sparks and try, if doesn't help, check each spark plug on evidence of sparks,than measure resistance of wires.Painfull method is to lean screwdriver or wrench key on each cable-when you get hit :cry: :mad: you found one. After that you can look rest,like-fuel filter,FPR,injectors,pump.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
VWPassatGLX155 said:
I dunno.... I have gone much longer than 3 days without starting my car and I haven't had any problems :roll:. Maybe you started the engine and stopped it really quickly last time, and left some gas in contact with the spark plugs. Check them to see if they are fouled up.
That's a likely possibility. If it's a 1.8T, you cannot start it, warm it up and then shut it off. I have a 1.8T and I drive the car basically ONLY on weekends and NEVER an issue. Starts right up, no problems and she's about 18 months old now.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have new plug wires, just need new plugs. I was waiting until 80,000 miles to change, but I'll do it 2500 sooner. I'm hopine it's just the plugs, but if not, I'm still under warranty for 2500+ miles. I guess I could stand to add some gas too. The fuel light came on, and the driveway is a slight decline. Hopefully this is something I can handle without taking it in to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Yea, I would say its probably the plugs if your at 75k. Get some Bosche Platnum +4's, a full tank of gas, a nice clean wash, and take your baby out for a spin :wink:

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
boshce platinum +4's it will probably be. Is that an autozone acquireable part? It needs a wash, and it was a beautiful day out here on the east side of NC. I originally went outside to do a little cleaning of my car, and decided to start it while I was at it. Since I'm a day sleeper, and I just got back from work, the CEL discouraged me, and I decided to just go to sleep. I need to wax my baby, and maybe it's just upset at me.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
B5V6 said:
boshce platinum +4's it will probably be. Is that an autozone acquireable part? It needs a wash, and it was a beautiful day out here on the east side of NC. I originally went outside to do a little cleaning of my car, and decided to start it while I was at it. Since I'm a day sleeper, and I just got back from work, the CEL discouraged me, and I decided to just go to sleep. I need to wax my baby, and maybe it's just upset at me.

Autozone or pepboys should have them :wink:

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Autozone didn't carry the Platinum +4's...nor did they carry any Bosch's that fit our car. I went with Denso Platinums.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
changed the plugs and wires, and add 2 gallons of gas. Start the car, and it idles rough for about 30 seconds. The idle picks up to normal, and I back it out the driveway to switch spots with the wifes car. I look down, and notice the check engine light is on again. I get my cell phone, just in case, and take it for a test drive. Shortly into it, the EMISSIONS WORKSHOP signal comes on. After taking it to Autozone, they tell me numerous misfires in cylinders 2 and 5. Can I get some suggestions? I don't think it's the plugs or the wires since the light came on before changing them. Also, the light was off for atleast a minute when I started it this morning.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Car wash syndrone. If youy start the car & turn if off within a minute (like pulling it out to wash), the car get's stuck in warmup mode. Very common problem. The CEl will clear itself up after a few restarts (can't remember exact number). They key to avoiding this problem is to never just start it then turn if off...let it run for at least 3 minutes...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts