Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be in New York for 3 days and don't want to miss the best New York has to offer. Give me some of your top picks of things to see and do and I will add them to my list. FYI -I am staying in Times Square at the Westin. Thanks for the help!

kypassat

:)

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Depends how old you are but if you like clubs.. Webster hall, Exit, Etc.
If you are a drinking at a bar kinda guy - Village Idiot 355 W. 14th st. $5 Pitchers. along 3rd ave from 14th down there are a ton of bars too. And since you are at the Westin go to Bubba Gump's Shrimp Co. for lunch and dinner its like 2 blocks away on broadway. Sightseeing... im numb to everything in NYC already

·
Registered
229 Posts
kypassat,

lots of stuff in the big apple...

take the ferry to the statue of liberty, make sure you climb inside all the way to the crown (be sure your camera is ready!)

go to ground zero -- a very sobering experience (i hope the city has done something 'bout them peddlers/vendors who are desecrating these hallow grounds)

if you've got a ride, go down i-95 to liberty park in new jersey. beautiful view of manhattan from across the water.

while at times square go atop the marriott marquis revolving restaurant; dine at espnzone. do this at midnight -- take a picture where they drop the ball on new year's day.

have fun in new york.

·
Registered
412 Posts
eryky said:
take the ferry to the statue of liberty, make sure you climb inside all the way to the crown (be sure your camera is ready!)
I believe the statue of liberty is still closed, and has been since 9/11... you can still take the boat ride there and walk around the island but thats about it. Save yourself some money and take the Staten Island Ferry, it goes by the statue, but doesnt stop there, so you can take pics if you want,and the ride is free.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Circle Line boat tour around Manhattan
Intrepid Museum
Observation Deck of the Empire State Building
Central Park
A walk up 5th Avenue
Bar hopping in Greenwich Village

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Observation Deck of the Empire State Building
I'm not real familiar with New York, but this is a good one. And it counts as a two-fer. Since while you're up there somebody is breaking into your car and taking the stereo, which is really the quintessential NY experience. :suspicio: :lol: :mad:

·
Banned
1,631 Posts
So, you're going to the Regis and Kelly show, right? Make sure to wear your Clubb5 t-shirt. Anyways, here are some things to do and see:

Broadway shows: You can snatch up super cheap tix at the TKTS booths. One is in the middle of Times Sq and the other is in lower Manhattan somewhere. The lines at the Times Sq booth suck, so you should check out the one in lower Manhattan (I think it's near Wall St.)

Brooklyn Heights: This is where the Cosbys lived. It's a gorgeous neighborhood with cobble stone roads and large brownstone row houses. If you walk toward the water, you will be in the Brooklyn Promenade where you will see a breathtaking view of lower Manhattan, Statue of Liberty, and the Brooklyn Bridge. Homes in this area easily go for 3 million bucks!

NY Metropolitan Museum: This museum is HUGE! I think it has 3 floors, and I was only able to cover one corner of one wing on one floor in a whole afternoon.

If you girl likes shopping, you guys can walk down Broadway from Union Sq to Chinatown. Lots and lots of shopping in trendy stores that are favorites for NYU students. If you like higher class stores, you can shop along 5th ave from 59th St all the way down 34th St. In that stretch, you have stores like Tiffany's, Cartier, Brooks Brothers, and Sachs.

While in Chinatown, you can check out Little Italy as well. They are right beside one another. City hall is there in the vicinity too, as well as the South St Sea Port and the Fulton Fish Market (stinky).

If I were you, I would break it up into sections. For example, you could do Museums and Central Park in one day. Midtown stuff (like Rockefeller Center, Times Sq, 5th Ave, Bryant Park, NY Public Library, Macy's, Herald Sq, etc) on another day. And downtown stuff (like WTC :cry: , South St Sea Port, Fish Market, Chinatown, Little Italy, Battery Park City, Lower East Side, Circle Line cruise, Liberty Island, Ellis Island, Wall St, etc.) on the last day.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Yes what Jeff (hoypinoy) said. You have to just walk - say start from the South Street Seaport, go to Ground Zero, walk up Broadway thru Chinatown, up thru SoHo (where I work) to the village to Midtown - to uptown and Central Park. I've done that walk several times and there's plenty of time to stop and shop and see all things you want.

Don't go to any of the restaurants at Disney Land - I mean Times Square. It's nice to see the sights there but it's too touristy. Go to the small places. While in SoHo, hit the Broome Street Bar - best burgers in town, I don't care what anyone says. Have dinner at Pomodoro on 73rd and Columbus.

There are so many places, it's sooo hard to recommend. Please don't have any Italian Food in Little Italy - I work near there too, not very good compared to the other places. Pomodoro has GREAT Italian food, there's also Bar Pitti on 6th and Bleecker. I can go on and on. Let us know what your interests are and we can certainly recommend places.

As for shows, hit the Producers if tix are available. You can maybe get them at the TKTS booth near the Seaport, again don't go to the one in Times Square.

·
Banned
1,631 Posts
So I guess kypassat is here in the city. Too bad it's bloody cold and it's going to rain tomorrow. That walk accross the Brooklyn Bridge is going to be fun! Brrrrrr.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Things I wanna do if I ever go to NYC:

Get Mugged!
Eat a hotdog from a vendor!
Watch Letterman
Buy a couple of purses (for the wife of course) and Rolexes in China Town
Swim in the Hudson River
Do something Trendy (no trendy stuff in texas...)
ride the Bull at the Stock market!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
BooRadley said:
Scores has many of the "Must see things" in New York.
Yah..."SCORES" is a sight to see if you like beautiful dancing naked women. My preference would be to go watch some great baseball at Yankee Stadium (and hopefully see the Yanks lose! :wink: )

Go Sox! 8)

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Damnit I'm in New York now, and it's all rainy!!! Can't do any of these walking things you're talking about!!! Anyways we're supposed to be college hunting but Mass., Conn., and Rhode were for that, and my sis and I don't like stuff in the thick of a city (and NYC is a hell of a city......makes Chicago seem open and spacy LOL)

Anyways I'm in the Hilton Milennium in the Financial district. We got a lucky room on the 24th floor (of 55) right on the corner, and we have an overlook of ALL OF GROUND ZERO. I was hoping that we'd get a room with a view to it..........

·
Banned
1,631 Posts
Sorry about the rain bud. It's supposed to be dreary like this until Sunday. :( I hope it's not going to be a repeat of last year's wash out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
17 Participants
00Psst
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing