Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the Chicago auto show Monday. They had a cut-away 3.6L. Sure didn't look like a V6. The cylinders are almost in-line. Well they are staggered - but not what would consider a V6. Is VW calling it a V6?

I'm so confused . . . V6, V8, W8, VR6

To top it off, I'm considering an Outback - with a 4 cyl boxer engine - hey didn't they steal that idea from the old Beetle?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The VR6 engine is considered "loosely" and only in spirit to be "inline". My Bently manual actually has the term in German, which is the R in VR6 and it means literally "inline" in German. They share one cyclindar head as you have seen in the picture. Oddly enough in Germany it is a V6 with no mention of the "R". They must have wanted to differentiate the engines. The were running two V6s each with 2.8L of displacement for quite a while. The VR6 engine is very compact for it's displacement and can go where most 4cyl can go. The 3.6l is slightly different in angle I believe it is 10 degree angle as opposed to 15 degree for my car. The engine is awesome and some of the local independant german mechanics have said it is the best engine to come out of Germany in a long time. It seems to have power everywhere. You can drive in the hills in 3rd gear at 1800 rpm going around a hair pin and it pulls well out of the turn.
I will look up the name of the "inline" tonight and post it. I have been meaning to look at that anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts