Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just purchased a 2007 3.6L 4Mo with 98k on it. I called the VW dealer that had done all the service since new and there was no mention of an oil bolt replacement. Actually no major issues what so ever for the life of the car and they had never heard of the oil bolt failure. Is this oil bolt failure typical of lower mileage cars or is the potential still there with nearly 100k on it?

I've already been burned by a failed valve in a '99 Volvo V70R wagon so I can't stomach the thought of another catastrophic engine issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, higher mileage cars can have the bolt failure. Mine had 62,000. After broken bolt discovered and replaced, car runs like a top. Better than ever.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, higher mileage cars can have the bolt failure. Mine had 62,000. After broken bolt discovered and replaced, car runs like a top. Better than ever.
Just sounds like the majority of 3.6 Passats experience this problem much earlier than 100k.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Okay here we go.... 59,200 miles on it, driving up from LA on I-5. Check engine light comes on, engine sounds horriffic... rattling, high pitched whistling. Temp, etc all holding okay. She's at the dealer now waiting to here back - it's unfortunately because I trust these guys about as far as I can throw them, but since it's still under CPO warranty I didn't have much choice.

Fingers crossed... is it bad that I almost want it to be a cam shaft / etc. code so that maybe I can get this thing fixed?

·
Registered
13 Posts
So...here we go.

I have the 2006 Passat with 3.6L. Bought it used from VW dealership 3.5 years ago. It was VW certified for 2 years. After 2 years, I bought the "gold" level extended warranty. A few days ago...my wife kissed me because it was one of the best purchases I ever made.

However...the oil pump bolt was fine! What failed was the timing chain guides. Plastic chunks broke off which caused slack it the chain. This caused the timing to be off my nearly a full degree (however the vehicle was still driveable ... made it to the dealership).

They tore it down and found the oil pump bolt to be fully installed and snug. However, all components on this side of the motor are being replaced...including the oil pump and bolt.

Mileage: 111,000
Parts and Labor Estimate: $5,500

My out of pocket: $250

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
PLEASE HELP. I can buy a 2006 3.6 tomorrow. It is a used vehicle of course, and the Guy bought it at an auction and knows nothing of it's history. I have a 2000 2.8 4motion now and taking this 3.6 for a drive was a dream. It has 215K, 133miles. Is there any way I can find out if this oil bolt issue has been addressed? I have the vin, or serial#. I can get the car for a VERY good price but...well you know. Reading all the threads here someone posted that I could find out using the vin, and call a dealership. I did that today and the Guy seemed a little overwhelmed....any ideas Guys before I let this car slip away, or I throw money down the drain? Thank You

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Brian

I'm from South Africa, and drive a 2006, 3.2 V6, 4-motion Passat. We don't get the 3.6 engine in the Passat over here.
Does this failure occur in the 3.2, V6 as well?
My car has about 76500 km's (47500 miles) and is under warranty up until November 2011.
Is there anything I should tackle VW or the dealer about this engine?
I would appreciate any comments.
Bad news I'm afraid. My 2006 3.2 V6 4Motion had the bolt fail at 18000 km's. Upon inspection at the dealer they could not understand what stopped the gears from rotating relative to each other as the "key" was also sheared off. Comment was that it was a know source of failure, and bolt will be replaced with a different grade one. Chains, intermediate gears, tensioners was all replaced.

And now, with 130 000km's on the clock, the bolt came loose or broke (inspected with a snake camera), must still strip and see which failure mode.:cry:

The short of it therefore - the 3.2 VR6 engine shares this problem with the 3.6 VR6. And the better bolt is not a guarantee that the problem will be solved. The Mc'Guyver in me want to make an inspection hole in the cover with a little cover-plate fitted, will see if it is possible. That way it will be possible to check on a regular basis without having to remove gearbox.

·
Registered
15 Posts
2006 3.2 V6 4Motion that I bought used in 2010 with 29k miles is still running strong with 141k miles on the clock. Hope I don't jinx myself

41 - 51 of 51 Posts