Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to put together some information for the 2006/2007 Passat owners that have the 3.6 liter motor.

It's very common knowledge that the model year 2006 and 2007 3.6 engines have a Fatal Flaw. The oil pump bolt as installed from the factory was either specified wrong, installed wrong, or has some other defect. This bolt Will Fail in your cars, eventually. Failures have been reported in numerous engines posted both here and on Vortex. I have compiled a few pictures that I have included in this post. There have been reports of the bolt shearing off and there have been reports of the bolt simply backing out by themselves (note the pictures below). this has been known to happen on engines with as little as 1000 miles and so far the highest I've seen reported has been 76,000 miles. As these car are aging and more and more people are hitting the mileages that will put them outside of the VW warranty and the CPO warranty if the car was purchased used. this is a very big potential problem for those that love the car and would like to keep it. It also brings forth a big financial decision as a failure out of warranty could be in excess of $15,000 to replace the engine (parts and labor). This is a burden that I feel nobody should have to carry except VW themselves. They were the cause of this issue and should be made to fix it.

I have taken the preventative approach and have paid to have mine changed, it's not a small or inexpensive task as you can see from the pictures below what's involved. for those that love the cars and want to keep them, I'd heavily consider an extended warranty or paying for the preventative fix. Keep in mind that either would be far less than the alternative being complete failure of the engine.

I wanted to add these so people can get a reference as to where this bolt is located inside engine and why it's such a big deal to do.

this picture shows the 3.6 engine installed in the car...

this picture shows the back of the 3.6 engine

this picture shows an exploded view and you can see where the oil pump bolt is. As you can see it it right on the back of the engine, to change this out, the transmission (and haladex unit on a 4-motion) need to be removed in order to remove the cover that the bolt is behind. Also note that while in there you will more than likely want to change the rear main seal because to do it at a later date will also involve dropping the tranny.

The following pictures were posted and were taken at a VW dealership that were working on this engine for an "Oil Failure" warning, as you can see the bolt simply backed out.

These pictures are from twiceunlucky's (Vortex user) car. this engine has been removed from the car. so you can clearly see what happened in this case. the bolt simply backed out and allowed both the gear and chain to rub against the cover. you can see the groove that was worn in the cover from the chain. you can also see that the only thing hold this all together was the fact that the cover was holding the bolt from backing out any farther and the gear rubbing on the cover as well.

---------------------------------------

Part #'s

these are the parts/items used while changing out my bolt. Not I did have the rear main seal replaced while everything was already apart.

Bolt #: N-104-044-04
Seal #: 021-103-051-C
Sealant #: D-176-501-A1

Reference Threads:

***OFFICIAL*** 3.6L 24V Engine Failure Thread
ATTN 3.6L Owners: Has your engine failed?
Replaced a 3.6L oil pump bolt
I can't believe it happened to me.
Passat 3.6 Leaves wife and daughter stranded
Passat 3.6 leadves wife and daughter stranded: Part II
Ouch
07 3.6 4M - Engine Replaced at 12K - Defective Oil Pump
Looks like my 3.6 blew, plus I'm stranded 800 miles from home!! (8rings)
Oil Pressure Failure & Engine Death Rattle
2006 3.6L 4motion wagon engine failure...help!
2006 3.6L Engine Failure

What to do if this has happened to you:

First thing you need to do is report the issue to the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) by clicking on the following link.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Also contact the following person with your concerns of this not being a recall issue and how you feel about Volkswagen of America not covering this issue when it's clearly a manufacturing defect.

Jill Bratina
Vice President, Brand Communications
Volkswagen of America
2200 Ferdinand Porsche Dr.
Herndon, VA 20171
Phone: +1 703 364 7250
[email protected]

Finally make your voice know in every place possible that's available to you (forums, newspaper, TV, etc.) that you are displeased with VW service when it comes to customers that purchase their products.

they want us to support them, they need to support us when dealing with legitimate VW issues.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,899 Posts
Brian, this brings a question to mind...

When you had the bolt "fixed," what did your local VW shop do to ensure this bolt doesn't back out again?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brian, this brings a question to mind...

When you had the bolt "fixed," what did your local VW shop do to ensure this bolt doesn't back out again?

My car is still at the dealership. the bolt in most cases that I have found broke. VW changed the specs' on the bolt to a harder grade. I'm not sure on the how they were installed from the factory originally but with the new specs' and how they are installing them, there haven't been any reports or posts that I have seen with them failing after MY 2007.

the new bolt has 10.9 strength class marked on head. and according to the Bentley manual should be tightened at 60 Nm + 90 degree stretch. I'm not sure what the VW Factory is doing.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally have my car back with all the work complete. Dealer quoted 7 hours to change out the bolt, actual time 13 hours. My dealer was great to work with on this, and held to their quote of 7 hours for the labor, they also gave me discounted pricing on the parts. I had them replace the Rear Main Seal while they were there.

I suggest if you are looking to have this preventative replacement done, you contact your dealer and discuss your options with them. Also remember to have them check on the availability of the seal if you are going to replace it. they might have to order it in, and this could delay them in getting the car done.

Here is a breakdown of what it cost me.

Oil Pump Bolt $1.44
Rear Main Seal $68.00
Sealant $20.65
Labor $699.00
Tax $54.05
------------------------------
Total bill $843.14

Knowing your engine won’t have a catastrophic failure due to this damn bolt while you’re out and about. Priceless.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did your dealer mention what the status of your bolt was? Meaning, was it backed out or loose at all? and what mileage did you have when you had it done?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did your dealer mention what the status of your bolt was? Meaning, was it backed out or loose at all? and what mileage did you have when you had it done?
it was not backed out and showed no visible signs, but we all know that for the most part there is no warning when it happens.

I had 78,885 miles on the car when I had it changed out.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
added additional photos in the first post. These ones are great so you can see what is happening inside behind the cover. I added a description of it above the added pictures.

Come on WV this is clearly your issue, and your owning up to it is a complete :thumbdown Customer service to your customers with this engine regarding this issue is a complete and utter FAIL!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Brian

I'm from South Africa, and drive a 2006, 3.2 V6, 4-motion Passat. We don't get the 3.6 engine in the Passat over here.
Does this failure occur in the 3.2, V6 as well?
My car has about 76500 km's (47500 miles) and is under warranty up until November 2011.
Is there anything I should tackle VW or the dealer about this engine?
I would appreciate any comments.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Brian

I'm from South Africa, and drive a 2006, 3.2 V6, 4-motion Passat. We don't get the 3.6 engine in the Passat over here.
Does this failure occur in the 3.2, V6 as well?
My car has about 76500 km's (47500 miles) and is under warranty up until November 2011.
Is there anything I should tackle VW or the dealer about this engine?
I would appreciate any comments.
from everything I've found, I haven't seen anything on this issue related to the 3.2 VR6. I believe those don't have this issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2006 Passat Oil Pump Bolt

Brian,

Would like to know where you got your oil pump bolt repaired, the quote from the dealer in South Jordan, Utah for me was $2,500. Seemed excessive especially when your cost was $850.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Brian,

Would like to know where you got your oil pump bolt repaired, the quote from the dealer in South Jordan, Utah for me was $2,500. Seemed excessive especially when your cost was $850.
Make sure you talk to Brandon. (Southtowne VW) he was the one that did mine. Although he did underbid it to start. He also stated that the AWD takes a lot longer than a FWD car. Mine's the 4-motion, What's yours?

Expect the AWD to take about 14 hours of labor.

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,871 Posts
Good post, but I feel there is some misinformation in here. The oil bolt is not as the first post says "Very common knowledge that the model year 2006 and 2007 3.6 engines have a Fatal Flaw. The oil pump bolt as installed from the factory was either specified wrong, installed wrong, or has some other defect. This bolt Will Fail in your cars, eventually."

Common knowledge on vortex = 14 year olds with keyboards and people that don't even own the cars spouting out a series of misinformation. The oil bolt failure is not a widespread issue with 3.6 Passats, there are a number of Passats that were sent out with faulty bolts. It is within a specified VIN range, and out of all of those cars within the affected VIN range, the rate of failure is still very low. Do I think it was a good idea that you replaced the bolt prematurely? If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, then yes. However replacing the bolt on cars not in the affected list of VIN numbers is a ridiculous extra measure that is completely unnecessary. If your car is not in the affected VIN range, you have nothing to worry about. The bolt is not a "fatal flaw" It was a failure with the bolt itself, not the design of the engine. There is already a huge thread on Vortex that goes into a lot of detail as to the cause of the bolt failure, and which vehicles are affected.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
there isn't a range in vin #'s or even a factory specific cause, believe me I have read through all of those posts, and it was assumed that their was a possible VIN range that had been affected, but it was never proved or disproved. so with that being said I wanted to get the information out there and people can do with it what they think.

As for it being a fatal flaw, well if it comes out and destroys the engine, I'd call that fatal. the engine itself is exceptional, I absolutely love it, should VW fix this issue, yes, have they recognized the problem, yes. Have the done anything tp aleiviate the issue for those that have expiring warranties, NO, but they should.

I plan on keeping my car, so I took car of it, others can do with their cars what they wish, and as for the #'s ect. there isn't any hard data, other than what VW has on what they've replaced, but they are releasing that info are they.....:poke:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts