Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a couple of years back I bought a 2006 3.6 for my son, and it's been a great car. Until the valvetrain went. Not sure yet if it was the oil bolt or just a guide/chain failure, doesn't really matter. I had sourced a used replacement engine and was just about to complete the deal. I am planning to swap the engine myself with the generous assistance of an uncle who builds race motors, builds cars from scratch, etc. He calls me and says:

"Before you buy that motor, my 'friend' tells me that swap is an 80 hour job, you gotta remove the radiator support, drop the subframe, etc. so do you really want to do this?"

Now I have no clue what to do. Is swapping the motor in this car really that involved? I need some fast advice from folks that have been there. Posted this same thing up on the Vortex, hoping someone can help. Much thanks in advance, guys.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,956 Posts
More like 8 hour job. Engine like for like? Not bad at all. If you have a lift or jackstands, it is really just unplug and unbolt a lot of things.

an uncle who builds race motors, builds cars from scratch, etc.
No offense, but this is not as easy as building a race motor or cars from scratch. Meaning, those things are meant to come apart easily and there is not much in the way like tons of wiring, A/C, cooler lines, and such. Yes, it is much more involved, but if you have the room and tools, it's not hard, just time consuming.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I just didn't want to get into a lot of detail about this guy's capabilities. He's certainly capable of any mechanic's work - I've seen him work on plenty of today's late-model 'disassemble the entire front end to get to a timing belt' - but its a question of how much he'll complain about it, if you follow me. ;) And while he is quite experienced, he's not worked on Passats before.

Worst case scenario, I have a VW mechanic I trust who I'll get an install quote from. If Thom complains too much I'll just pay to have it done. I just wanted to know if I was really getting in too deep here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts