Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

2nd gear synchro

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Rick_B5 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, hoping to get some advice on next steps with my Passat. It’s an 04 1.8t 4motion wagon with a manual transmission. I’m getting some bad grinding noises when shifting into 2nd gear. I took it to a shop to confirm what I assumed to be the problem. The quote was free but the price to fix it would be more than the car is worth.

What I’m wondering is if anyone has had luck with putting fresh transmission oil in their car or an additive of some sort to help get the synchros working properly again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#5 ·
I think you should sell it to me ;) What a nice car - it would be a shame to junk it in its current state.
You could try double-clutching when shifting to 2nd but I know that will be a pain coming off a stop. The only fix that will last longer than a week would be to replace that synchro.
Yeah I really like this car and want to drive it for as long as possible. I’ve tried double clutching and being super gentle with it, but it doesn’t seem to help.

#4 ·
So I’ve called around and can’t find a transmission in my area. The shop I took it to found a used one on the east coast for $1,570 and $247 for freight delivery. That doesn’t include labor for install. I would guess at 220k my car is worth about that much.

#6 ·
The trans has to come out no matter what path you take but I'd guess just replacing the synchro would get you another 50k miles out of it at least. You might try to find a trans shop and ask them what it would take to fix the one you have.

Oh.....you already did that:geek: Maybe get a second opinion at another shop?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.