Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, can someone school me on the reasons for getting these kinds of amps?

The setup i'll be having is components in the front and a 12in Type R in the back.

Now...do i get two separate amps? or do i get one amp with 4ch? i think i know how it goes but not quiet sure.

TIA

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
The way i see it you have a few options.

Option 1 (and the best IMHO): Get a mono (1) channel amp for the Type R, then get another 2 channel amp for the front stage.

Option 2 (probably cheaper): Get a 4 channel amp, bridge two of the channels for the Type R and use the other two channels for the front speakers.

Option 2 is cheaper, but would probably underpower the Type R as they can take a fair amount of power.

What sort of budget are you looking to spend on amp(s)? That will help also.

·
13,138 Posts
Oh wow...i was expecting a lot less from the original question.

Definately 2 seperate amps with that budget. I bought mine used, but i got both my Arc XXKs for under $700 and thats way more power then you would need.

What front speakers are you going to be running?

You have A LOT of options with that budget though.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For the front components, i was thinking going with the Type R's. i was also thinking of sticking with an Alpine amp and sub but i'll look into other brands also. or i may even stick with a newer set of MB Quarts components. i just don't know yet. all kinds of options are running thru my head right now. i'm soooo confused! i think i will go with the 1 mono amp and another for the components. see......there i go again.........many OPTIONS going thru my brain:cry:

The definite is the Type R sub.

·
13,138 Posts
A friend of mine has 2 Type Rs and the Type R components as well. He is using ED (elemental designs) amps and they are great. You could pick up a Nine.2 for the components and a Nine.2x for the sub. It would sound awesome and be under $500, plus all ED amps come with a 3 year warranty straight from ED :thumbup: Just one of the many options you have with that budget though.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
PanaSSat24 said:
For the front components, i was thinking going with the Type R's. i was also thinking of sticking with an Alpine amp and sub but i'll look into other brands also. or i may even stick with a newer set of MB Quarts components. i just don't know yet. all kinds of options are running thru my head right now. i'm soooo confused! i think i will go with the 1 mono amp and another for the components. see......there i go again.........many OPTIONS going thru my brain:cry:

The definite is the Type R sub.

If you're looking at components from Alpine, you're gonna want to stick with the Type Xs IMO...I've been running mine for the last year w/ about 130 watts going to each side, and they loved every second of it.

Amp wise, while eD isn't a bad choice, for personal reasons (the owner IMO is a total jerk-off) I'd stay far away.

Brands to consider though...Arc Audio, MB Quart, JL, Next Audio, Brax, Helix (those two can be expensive, but some times you can find sweet deals) Diamond Audio, Zapco, Tru Technology.

Again, all are a little pricey, but when it comes to amps you get what you pay for

·
13,138 Posts
bass_lover1 said:
If you're looking at components from Alpine, you're gonna want to stick with the Type Xs IMO...I've been running mine for the last year w/ about 130 watts going to each side, and they loved every second of it.

Amp wise, while eD isn't a bad choice, for personal reasons (the owner IMO is a total jerk-off) I'd stay far away.

Brands to consider though...Arc Audio, MB Quart, JL, Next Audio, Brax, Helix (those two can be expensive, but some times you can find sweet deals) Diamond Audio, Zapco, Tru Technology.

Again, all are a little pricey, but when it comes to amps you get what you pay for
ED has had a rough history...however ive never seen anything from Ben that would lead me to believe he is a "total jerk off." The buddy i mentioned above had gotten his AIM name through a friend and started talking to him. He made the time to basically TEACH my friend everything there is to know about audio, starting with the basics. He didnt just totally ignore an audio n00b as most would.

With that being said you can NEVER go wrong with any of the other brands mentioned above. I LOVE my XXKs. Brax is STUPID expensive, Helix is cheaper (since it is the same company and all, but thier LOWER line, not like its a lower amp, btw this is for PanaSSat24, since im sure you (bass_lover) know all this already). Zapco, always good, however i have seen many people on the car audio forums switch from the C2Ks to the XXKs and like the Arcs better (and for cheaper.) Diamond would be a great one to look at. They have amps in all price ranges, plus the D3s were designed by Rob Zeff so they are awesome amps (VERY similar to the ARC KAR series).

Like i said though, you cant go wrong with any of the amps bass_lover mentioned.

·
13,138 Posts
vodosoul said:
Take a look at Genesis and DLS amps as well and for the money, Memphis makes a decent amp for any budget. Good luck.
:thumbup:

BTW: Hows the variant doing? Ive only seen a few pictures of your setup, but they were beautiful. Then again i think ill like anything that has flatlines :lol:

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rollininstyle2004 said:
A friend of mine has 2 Type Rs and the Type R components as well. He is using ED (elemental designs) amps and they are great. You could pick up a Nine.2 for the components and a Nine.2x for the sub. It would sound awesome and be under $500, plus all ED amps come with a 3 year warranty straight from ED :thumbup: Just one of the many options you have with that budget though.
Hmm ok i just looked at the ED amps and they are low in price. but see i was always told that......you pay almost a dollar for each watt in an amp. so a real good amp thats like 600watts or whatever would be around $600.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
If I were you PanaSSat24, I'd try to find a Next Audio VRz 2.400. They are kinda hard to find now but you'll spend no more than 150 dollars on it practically brand new.

If you've ever heard of Audison, Next Audio is a subsidary of this company but for some reason, they either didn't sell very well or just closed their doors all together, you can get $500 dollar MSRP amps for under 200 all day long ;).

I'm currently running a Next VRz4.400 ([email protected]) active on my front stage, and in terms of quality and power output, it sounds very very similar to the Linear Power 2.2HV I was using before it.

Just an idea. ;).

·
Registered
61 Posts
rollininstyle2004 said:
:thumbup:

BTW: Hows the variant doing? Ive only seen a few pictures of your setup, but they were beautiful. Then again i think ill like anything that has flatlines :lol:
The variant is being torn apart to be out fitted with Alto Mobile's UCS Pro, Hertz components and of course Arc's SE amps:thumbup:

·
13,138 Posts
vodosoul said:
The variant is being torn apart to be out fitted with Alto Mobile's UCS Pro, Hertz components and of course Arc's SE amps:thumbup:
:bowdown: :bowdown:

Make sure to post A LOT of pictures when you are done. Is the whole install being redone too or are you just putting the SEs where the XXKs were before?

What are you doing with your old XXKs?

·
Registered
61 Posts
rollininstyle2004 said:
:bowdown: :bowdown:

Make sure to post A LOT of pictures when you are done. Is the whole install being redone too or are you just putting the SEs where the XXKs were before?

What are you doing with your old XXKs?
Yes I will post pics when its done and yes the SE's will be going in the same spot with minor mods. The XXK's will go in one of the installers car at the shop. BTW check out the April issue of Car Audio and electronics my 1959 Bug is one of the feature articles:thumbup:

·
Registered
273 Posts
rollininstyle2004 said:
Option 1 (and the best IMHO): Get a mono (1) channel amp for the Type R, then get another 2 channel amp for the front stage.
What is the advantage of using a 2-channel amp over a 4-channel amp to power the components in the car? Wouldn't a 4-channel amp provide greater tuning flexibility? Ability to fade, etc?

Thanks,

Leif

·
13,138 Posts
leifpassat said:
What is the advantage of using a 2-channel amp over a 4-channel amp to power the components in the car? Wouldn't a 4-channel amp provide greater tuning flexibility? Ability to fade, etc?

Thanks,

Leif
Are you comparing a 2 channel for the front or a 4 channel for the front, OR a 2 channel to power just the fronts or a 4 channel to power all 4 doors?

You can use a 4 channel for just the fronts (thats what im doing), and bi-amp them (have the mid and tweeter on a seperate channel). That offers some more flexibility with the tuning.

Having a 4 channel powering front and rear as opposed to just a 2 channel for the front is personal preference. Some people like some power in the rear, personally i always have it faded towards the front so the rears in my new setup are just going to be run off the head unit.

I hope this answers what you were asking...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Old school

I personally like the Old school ADS power plates. They give you all the tuning capability you would ever want. They have built in crossovers so no need for suffering power and SQ through a passive Xover. I have 7 old Power Plates that will be fully serviced in the next two weeks ( I know the guy that built these in the factory in the mid 90's).

I would suggest a 4 or six channel so that every speaker has its own channel and two left over to bridge to the sub.

Chuck

1 - 20 of 55 Posts