Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to use a 255mm rear brake disk when a 245mm was original without other HW changes like the caliper bracket?

Reason being I recieved the larger vs smaller disk. I would hate to get into the brake job only to find out that I cannot use the larger disks.

Thanks
Kraut

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
You have the 4Motion rear rotor (256mm), as you may know.
The more critical dimension (carrier/ caliper aside) is going to be the thickness, I think.
Brake disc thickness is listed as 10mm for the 245mm rear disc
It is listed as 22mm for the 256mm rear disc.
The rear pads are the same, but I don't know about the calipers & carriers.
The ETKA parts guide on here may help?

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
The caliper may not have 5 millimeters of rotor clearance to spare, and the pads almost certainly won't contact the rotor surface properly. Bide your time and get the right ones.

EDIT: The fact that the rotor you got is 12mm thicker than the one you're supposed to use is also a problem. The caliper doesn't have that much extra width to spare; you'd never fit the pads and the extra-thick rotor in place properly.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your responses, Stewart.....and Deuse.......

The disk I got was NOT 22mm (vented ?) thick, but 10-12mm (I did not measure, but can tell 22 vs 10-12mm
My question still stands with respect to the diameter, as I think 2mm in thickness should be do OK. Not shipping them back and paying for two more shipments is the reason I am asking.
Thanks
Kraut

The caliper may not have 5 millimeters of rotor clearance to spare, and the pads almost certainly won't contact the rotor surface properly. Bide your time and get the right ones.

EDIT: The fact that the rotor you got is 12mm thicker than the one you're supposed to use is also a problem. The caliper doesn't have that much extra width to spare; you'd never fit the pads and the extra-thick rotor in place properly.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I quoted Bentley on the disc thickness - my W8 rears are vented (269mm?), my V6 4Motion rears were not vented.
Bentley shows 22mm in one place, 10mm in another for 245mm rotor???
Did you try the ETKA link above on the page?
You need VIN to check accurately, though.
Another option might be trying VW parts/ service to see if the caliper and carrier part numbers are the same for FWD & 4Motion?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Stewart.... I noticed that too about Bentley. ETKA list, don't they charge for that? I was hoping that someone else had access and could tell me.
Tried to register on that site, but it did not go through even after 6 times of trying

I quoted Bentley on the disc thickness - my W8 rears are vented (269mm?), my V6 4Motion rears were not vented.
Bentley shows 22mm in one place, 10mm in another for 245mm rotor???
Did you try the ETKA link above on the page?
You need VIN to check accurately, though.
Another option might be trying VW parts/ service to see if the caliper and carrier part numbers are the same for FWD & 4Motion?

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Thank you for your responses, Stewart.....and Deuse.......

The disk I got was NOT 22mm (vented ?) thick, but 10-12mm (I did not measure, but can tell 22 vs 10-12mm
My question still stands with respect to the diameter, as I think 2mm in thickness should be do OK. Not shipping them back and paying for two more shipments is the reason I am asking.
Thanks
Kraut
If the company sent you the wrong rotors, it's on them to take them back and send you new ones.

Another option, I suppose, assuming all the other crucial measurements are the same, is to take the rotors to a brake shop and have them shave 2.5mm off the radius. I'm sure they could come up with a way to do that.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
You could resell them, but that takes time and more of your money.
IIRC those rear rotors also fit A4 and A6 with 2.8L Quattro - and I would think A4 and Passat with 1.8T Quattro/ 4Motion (as well as Passat V6 4Motion).

I didn't realize the ETKA part number locater was pay/ member - I've never used it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts