Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon everyone,

I have a 2002 VW Passat 1.8T FWD GLS with 195/65-15 wheels/tires stock.

I'm looking to run the widest tires for my aftermarket 18" rims (this is for a weekend/track car)

I have 18x8 Wheels (Front/Rear) with 32 offset.

I'm going to be lowered on coilovers but not slammed yet..(drop of around 2-2.5" depending on clearance issues)

I'm wondering if anyone has run a 245/35-18 tires on these cars (B5.5/A4 B6), I searched through all the lowered car threads on PW and also searched B6 A4 245/35-18 on audizine ect.. and didn't find anything (but apparently the Auid guys are running 19's pretty successfully).. It looks like a few are running 235/40-18 without rubbing on lowering springs.

Has anyone seen anything for 245/35-18 though? Im ok removing fender nuts and cutting fender liners and pulling/ rolling fenders if needed but i'm more worried about rubbing on the control arms..

Thank you,

·
Registered
450 Posts
245.35.18/8 +32 will be 20mm closer to suspension, and will stick out 30mm more.... Sacrificing 10mm of section width, ie 235s, will save 5mm on each side.... speedo will be off about -6%

·
Registered
285 Posts
My car came from the factory with 235x45x18" HANKOOK tires. The noisiest d a m n tires I've ever had. When I change tires it will be to another brand. I'll also change to 245x45x18" tires. I do not wish to go lower since I drive in Mexico during the winter and they have tons of speed bumps everywhere. In fact if I can get them I may go for 245x50x18".

Here are a couple of sites where you can enter the original tire size of your car and the size you want to go to. The 1st link is a little simpler but it does tell you a good amount of info. The 2nd link can also take offset's. For example in my case the speedo reads higher than GPS measured speed. By going up one size my speedo will read almost dead on.

1.) Palo Alto Speedometer

2.) Rims n tires comparer

1 - 3 of 3 Posts