Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, find photos here:
http://evilengineering.com/lemons/

The story. Okay, first a bit about our car. It was an 86 BMW 535 that was prepped for racing on the cheap! Less that $500 total cost (excluding safety--cage, seat, tires, brakes see the www.24hoursoflemons.com website for full rules). Lots of ghetto mods, trust me you wouldnt want to drive this thing cross country...our competitors consisted of some similar minded individuals who removed weight and added racing tires to "sporty" cheap cars, people who just grabbed the nearest $500 station wagon...and last but not least...used demolition derby cars...yikes!

Well, after an eventfully "qualifying" round in which the pass door flew open (oops), we were placed midfield (34 cars in total) by random order and I started out driving on the 1/3 mile long track. The track was 1/3 mile long, took approx 30 sec to complete, had a 100 meter straight away followed by a banked 270 deg turn (from the 1/4 mile track) followed by a tight right hand 90 (actually from the infield of a figure 8) and then up a hill (crossing the 1/4 mile back stretch) into another long ~270 left back onto the main straight. Our 86 BMW 535i was really fast on that track. Within 10-20 laps I was in first place and lapped the entire field except for 2 cars (when i wasn't tuging the bungie cord that held the pass side car door closed) when about 45 minutes into the race (60ish laps) the front sway bar mounts broke and I had to take the car into the pits for some repairs. We removed the front sway (which loosened up the car quite a bit (we'd get sideways easily in the front straight)), and one of my teammates got back out there and proceeded to run into a tractor tire and gave us about 15 degrees toe out. After adjusting the front right tie rod as far as we could go, we got about straight and went back onto the track in 27th place...yikes...2.5 hours into the 13 hour race. We basically spent the rest of saturday passing other cars, burning through 6 used racing slicks and by the end of the day were back into the top 10. Sunday morning we were awarded the Peoples Choice award for best "concept and car prep" which was $1000 in nickles...4 individual 50lbs burlap sacks with dollar signs spray painted on them. The following day we were fast again...we perhaps weren't the fastest car in the turns, but we would pull on a lot of cars in the straights, and that 3.5 liter inline six with a crappy used flowmaster and to side pipes sounded just AWESOME at 5500 rpm!
We only had the 3 fastest lap time of the event (by about 0.3 seconds) but it wasn't often that we'd get passed. Okay, back to the race. One of my co-drivers managed accidentaly (we call them "racing incidents") pit manuevered another car...so he was black flagged and forced to proceed to the "wheel of misfortune"...which I dutify spun...and landed on "train in vain"...which meant that a nice lady wearing angel wings welded training wheels onto the side of our BMW....honestly thats something I NEVER thought I'd say in my entire life!! Back on the track he was nice enough to find the nearest...obstacle, car whatever to knock the traning wheels off....at least the wheel of misfortune didnt land on the spot that required a boombox with Barry Manilow playing full volume to be zip tied just out of the drivers reach....Anyway With 3 hours to go in the race, I got into the car in 7th place, and fought my way (with failed power steering, no power brakes, tranny sometimes not upshifting or downshifting) to 5th, and i only needed to lap 4th once more (there car was at least a few seconds a lap slower) and I could have caught 3rd by the end at my current pace..but BAM our tranny went and with 1.5 hours left to go our trusty Beamer breathed fire no more. In the end we wound up on 9th out of 34 cars and a thirst for next years event!!

Lap times are here:
http://www.mylaps.com/results/newResults.jsp?id=432282

We were...and are...Black Iron Racing, #40.
-Vince

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Oh that's hilarious!!! What a great time at the track, and what a story! Those training wheels are a riot...

Sounds like you had a great time! :thumbup:

Maybe next time you can find a $500 Passat to enter... :)

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Greenie - if you do hear of something like that - maybe in the MKE area - let me know. I'd be down for some silliness.
That would just be ridiculously awesome. I love the whole idea.

I bet you a nickle we could get one of the local tracks in SE Wisconsin and Illinois to do this.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think we'll do it again next year, but I don't think anything with a 1.8t could be justified to cost less than $500....maybe a rolled jetta...

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Oh hell no, sticking to the $500 is the best part. Troll the ads and see what you can get, tape it together and race that bastard, awesome...

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
You mean I MISSED IT!?!?!?! I could have entered my HONDA!! LOL :lol:

I have an 88 Honda Prelude Si I paid NOTHING FOR! I traded my brother a Car stereo for it (because it wasn't driveable at the time). :angel:

I spent a grand total of $300 on it for a new transmission and then got tires for it, and now she runs & drives like a champ! It's been my temporary replacment for my Passat after I wrecked it... :p

In all reality, It would be fun, but I don't think I'd be willing to part with it for only $500 (or risk being crushed). I'd have to have sponsors to pay me for it before I'd enter it.:whistle:

Cool idea though!! :thumbup:

$1000 in NICKELS?!?!? That's a riot!!! LOL

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
is a sweetheart
3,056 Posts
Next year you need to put some pimp-alicious chandelier hood ornaments on it, like the blue Cadillac in Escape From New York. Now that would be SWEET. Or even better yet, actually use a Caddy for the race and put some blow up dolls in the back seat as your ho's.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts