Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Reverend Arthur Dimmwit
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taller tires? BLASPHEMY! :puke:
I know you like your whip slammed 3 inches with 19's and 35 series rubber bands, but hey, I live out in the sticks where there are more deer than people. I want to upgrade from the Adelaides to bigger rims. I know that 17 is as big as I dare to go but I doubt if 225/45/17 will provide enough sidewall for these wonderful roads. Considering 225/50/17.
Have any of you tried this size? Pros & Cons (I'm not worried about speedometer reading low)? Durability/pothole resistance? Has anyone dared to go taller? 55's on 17's? I'm either going with -45 offset Ronal R39 Ferris wheels or O.Z. Superturismo (either should be pretty sturdy) & :shock: stock springs with Bilstein HD's so hopefully rubbing shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks again for your sagelike wisdom.

·
Registered
252 Posts
i have 215 40 17 i know it is lower than standard 45.
if you go with lower i can guarantee mine is like 18s tire 40 i feel alot of stuff on the road actually "feel everything" is more correct statement

I try not to hit any pot holes so far I don't hav any problems but just little rough ride.. one thing i would say is speedometer, your speedometer reading will be lower than stadard reading.... (mine is opposite)

http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html <--try this

regular 45 side wall will have same reading lets say 50mph :)
mine 40 will go like around 51.72mph :sad:
yours(if you go 50) will go around 48.39mph :shock:
and as you hit higher speed you will get bigger difference with stock size

so think about that too

next time when i get my tire i will defintely get right sidewall size. haha but i love my yokoyama z rated tires.... i can't let goooo :nervous:

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
'99 v6 4Mo,Tiptronic. Bridgestone Blizzak WS50(if I am not wrong) 225/50/17 wheels are 8.5x17 offset 35mm (OE offset 45mm) this is winter set-up, perfect for winter in Russia. Suspension is standard 1BA. Front gap +/-60mm; Rear gap +/-80mm

·
Registered
26,073 Posts
Not sure what tires you are looking at,but 225/50/17 is a little limited in the selection.
215/50/17 is another option as is 235/45/17. They are slightly taller than the
normal 225/45/17.

·
Reverend Arthur Dimmwit
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PZ said:
Not sure what tires you are looking at,but 225/50/17 is a little limited in the selection.
215/50/17 is another option as is 235/45/17. They are slightly taller than the
normal 225/45/17.
You are right about lack of choice in this size. I've only found maybe 15 tires in this size & I've been on a bunch of different tire websites. I'm probably going with Bridgestone Turanza LS/V's. Great reviews as a touring tire and they are available in 225/50/17 :) . But they aren't cheap: $150+ each :sad: @ Tirerack.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
I have 215/50/17's, which are about an inch bigger overall in diameter. Speedometer reading is actually more accurate than it is from the factory. They're for sale too. :wink:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Poohbear: Did you ever make switch to 225/50/17s? I was doing the same thing for some of the same reasons, and started with fronts only -- just to check the fit-- before investing in all 4 tires. Result is bad.... car is 'bucking' at low RPMs.... I'm hoping it has to do with mismatch between front and backs. But I thought I would check before in invested in 2 more 225/50/17s.

Kind of academic, but it is puzzling to me why different tires would cause this problem -- is it possible that the big size/weight of these tires is just making it hard for engine to rev down, or ...any way that tire circumference could be programmed into ECU?

·
Reverend Arthur Dimmwit
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bisquik said:
Poohbear: Did you ever make switch to 225/50/17s? I was doing the same thing for some of the same reasons, and started with fronts only -- just to check the fit-- before investing in all 4 tires. Result is bad.... car is 'bucking' at low RPMs.... I'm hoping it has to do with mismatch between front and backs. But I thought I would check before in invested in 2 more 225/50/17s.

Kind of academic, but it is puzzling to me why different tires would cause this problem -- is it possible that the big size/weight of these tires is just making it hard for engine to rev down, or ...any way that tire circumference could be programmed into ECU?
Nope. I have not made the switch, yet. I still can't decide on which wheels to buy. I am not qualified to answer any of your questions. I am a shadetree mechanic at best and don't know if two different tire sizes could be the problem. One thought I have is that the larger wheels & tires will weigh more and perhaps the increased rotational weight could bog down your engine @ low rpms. But I really don't know if this is the cause of the problem. I would send a PM to Nenad, HermanH, or one of the other technical geniuses here. I wish I could be more help. :sad:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks. Yeah, Nenad uses 225/50/17 w/o problems and has posted a pic on another thread. The thing is my ride is slightly lowered... it still looks like clearance is OK though. Well, anyway, let me get a balanced set of 4- 225/50s on and we'll see what happens. (I'm already liking the feel of the bigger tire...)

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Space on front with winter tires&stock height is approx 7-7,5 cm and on rear is approx 9 cm.

Overall diameter of 225/50/17 is 65.68 cm; against 225/45/17 - 63.43 cm
diff is 65.68-63.43=2.25 cm; 2.25:2= 1.125 cm is to be considered with lowering of car like added value.
My car is recently lowered for 20mm (1BE springs from VW) and there is plenty space for winter tires again.
Not best pics for comparison, but you can catch idea
Winter tires225/50/17+ stock height

Summer tires225/45/17+ 1BE springs (-20mm)

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'm thinking of going 215/50/17. not that big a sacrifice on the speedo and only about half an inch shorter than the stock 15 ride height.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm running the same set up as a G35 - 225/50/17 in front 235/50/17 in rear (Bridgestone Potenza). It's been a few weeks and no problems at all. I was afraid of running this set up until I saw it on a G35. ('00 V6 front wheel drive lowered). The ride is great. BUt the price was even better - $300 new. Just could not pass it up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
OK. Just to followup on my earlier questions/complaints. Everything is good now, and I can join Nenad, blacpoet, and stealth in mhy love for this these slightly bigger tires. I think I found out what was repsonsible for this weird "bucking". I found out that 2 of my rims were severaly mis-shapen...and had them fixed. Now with all 4 225/50/17s pm on the car, ride is lovely.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts