Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the SS needs some new sneakers.
I have had the intention for some time now to get Eagle F1 GS-D3's, but now realize the Potenza S-03 Pole Positions are a damn fine tire as well.

Anyone have experience with the above rubber? Is there another brand I should consider.

FWIW, the tire could cost 100 bucks/skin or 300. Just looking for the best performance tire out there.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Andy!
Got the S-03's; there is a particular W8 driver I like to screw with at HighPoint :poke:
And to think I do it with half the cylinders :shock:

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
The Toyos are pretty awesome tires, and light too. The Bridgestones are also very good, but they're quite heavy. Both are VERY expensive. The Goodyears are a great tire, and do well in almost all conditions. Again, they're not the cheapest.

A nice, cheap, compromise would be the Kumho Ecsta MX. I've heard nothing but good things around the tire. Being the only real contender to the Falken Azenis in the street tire classes of SCCA Solo II must mean something (although the BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KD does very well, they don't really like the wet). I'm not sure what wheel width ya got, but 17x8 would be good, since turn in is supposed to dramatically improve on this tire with a wider wheel.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
TDIBUGMAN said:
Thanks Andy!
Got the S-03's; there is a particular W8 driver I like to screw with at HighPoint :poke:
And to think I do it with half the cylinders :shock:
Dream on little boy.... :poke: :wink: Just move out of my way like you did the last time... :lol:

By that time I'll have my 235/40R18 F1 GSD3s on....

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
VWGUY4EVER said:
Dream on little boy.... :poke: :wink: Just move out of my way like you did the last time... :lol:
I happened to have had an old man riding with me at the time...
he was looking a little pale :nervous:

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
TDIBUGMAN said:
VWGUY4EVER said:
I happened to have had an old man riding with me at the time...
he was looking a little pale :nervous:
SURE!!!! I'll believe this one. :poke:

·
Registered
442 Posts
IME, the S-O3s may be one of the best street tires on the planet; incredible dry/wet grip, and they wear relativey well on-track for a street tire. The trade-off is their weight and harsh ride (very stiff sidewalls). I've owned a set of S-O2's and S-O3's.

·
Salty Moderation Stylez
12,663 Posts
PNWdriver said:
IME, the S-O3s may be one of the best street tires on the planet; incredible dry/wet grip, and they wear relativey well on-track for a street tire. The trade-off is their weight and harsh ride (very stiff sidewalls). I've owned a set of S-O2's and S-O3's.
fully agree!!!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Flippped said:
SURE!!!! I'll believe this one. :poke:
his words went somthing like "ya know you're awefully close to the edge..." then his words trailed off.
After we stopped, there was silence for a moment.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts