Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like I will need to get new tires soon (seems fast but the wear indicators say so). I'm currently running Michelin Pilot Sports (not the A/S) and I haven't had any problems with them considering the weather. I'm looking for something that wears well, isn't noisy, good wet/dry performance and looks mean (yes, stupid i know but I like it).

Any suggestions? I was looking at the tire rack yesterday but I was wondering what you all are running.

TIA.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have Kumhos 711 225 45 17 I think it looks :thumbup: very smooth ,rides very quiet wears nicely on my :b5: at $71.00 a pop hard to beat.

ben

·
Registered
149 Posts
i might have to disagree on the road noise of the 711's...
and the treadwear isn't too great either. maybe i'm just an aggressive driver though.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
From what I've read in the past month or two, these are popular BFTB:

Sumitomo HTR+
Falken Ziex 512
Summer tire: Kumho 712

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Sorry you wont get good wear with Ultra high performance tires. The compound is softer for grip and this leads to wear my friend.
But here are some tires much cheaper then those Pilots

Toyo's T1-S
Falken 451
Yoko ES 100
Nitto's 555
Sumitomo HTR

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I had an entire set of bad Kumhos, with bubbles in the sidewalls. They tell me I hit something, but if thats the case then I guess normal bumps in the road are not for these tires. My uncle, a mechanical engineer at Bridgestone, helped me out with some better tires, and said as a general rule for them that if you hit anything hard enough to break the tread and destroy their tires, it had better destroy the wheels as well. These were 205/40/17 on a mk3 jetta.

I also had 225/45/17 on my passat last year, Dunlop Sp9000, they were pretty good for the money I felt.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Toyo Proxes T1-S... IMHO, the absolute best High Performance tire available!! The Bridgestone S03's are better in dry, but no other High Performance tire handles better in the rain!! I've also tried a set of Goodyear F1GSD3's and they are solid tires but they didn't handle as well as the Toyo's on hard curves.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s. So far I'm very impressed. Don't know on the wear, they get a better wear rating than anything else in that class on tirerack. Your size is $160, I'm on 225/40-18 but there shouldn't be a lot if difference in performance terms.

I am particularly impressed that they feel very neutral and yet informative. They don't follow the grooves on concrete and they don't wander on studded grid bridge decking.

I doubt I'll get 50k miles per set, but I enjoy the grip. My co-worker runs them on his BMW M Roadster. He says they are so good in the wet it tends to frighten people who are used to having poor wet weather traction. He always has a spare set on-hand because the rears are very wide and take a long time to get hold of but he tried other high performance tires and doesn't want to go back.

Forget the snow though, these don't work in the snow, on the white stuff you may just as well have slicks.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I have the Toyo Proxes 4 and my initial feeling is that they are great. Take a look at them, they are inexpensive UHP tires and good in the rain and ok in the snow.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I'll look more into the Toyo Proxes T1-S. A couple of people speak highly of them (specifically Swami ... I'm fairly confident he knows his stuff :) ) and they aren't too expensive, especially when compared to the Pilots that I have now. Since it is more rainy here in Nor Cal, than snowy (thankfully I moved from Boston, sweet summer wheels and tires year 'round) and dry in the summer, sounds like a good match.

are these things noisy? That's another big concern of mine.

Aside from edge racing, does anyone know where to get a set?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
As for noise, they seem to be louder than my old Michelins, but those were pretty quiet. Nothing anyone would object about, I don't imagine. Not sure of comparisons against the Pilot Sports, but probably similar. My wife has the A/S version on her RSX, but that thing's got no soundproofing, so who knows how they really compare. :D

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I'm another believer in the Sumitomo HTR's. They are sticky smooth and very quiet. they are more quiet than when I got the car stock. Right now I have 18x8 225-40-18.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
DaddyO said:
I am running the Continental Extreme Contact Sports. Great tire. Another tire that is very high on my list is the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S
I looked into the Pirelli's but I stayed away from them because of their soft side wall and was talked into the Toyo Proxes 4 by the Swami. Let me tell you, those are seriously the best tires I've ever had, for MS rated.

·
Registered
477 Posts
How many miles do you have on your Pilots ... ?

I've got a set of Pilot Sport A/S with over 20,000 miles on them, and they've still got plenty of tread.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts