Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I bought one of these from PGPerformance and, with the search function not working so good these days, have a few questions:

- What do you use to clean the paint before attaching the badge?
- Since the badge size is about half the height of the Passat letters, tell me how you mounted yours - bottom or top justified the same as the Passat letters (except on the opposite side of the hatch).
- Any links to anyone elses badging experience would be great

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I just washed my car before I put it on. I made sure that area was really dry. I measured from the bottom. It's just preferance.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I think a small spray of windex on the intended area should be enough of a wax stripper to make sure you get good adhesion. Also, if it's really cold out, a little hair dryer action to the area before you make the stick might help. I got the 20V with the small turbo underneath, and aligned it from the top, even with the top of the passat logo, but my 20V was the same size. Some painters tape to help box off your level works great. I also carried the same distance from the V in 20V to the right tail lamp as the distance from the P in Passat to the left tail lamp, as I think the logos are justified that way, from outside in. Good Luck. Joe.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump for anyone else to add before I install this today.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
i would like to see this badge on a trunklid too

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Clean the area very well with Rubbing Alcohol.. you need to get the wax off. Bottom justified. Eg same distance from the bottom of the letters to the seam in the trunk as the Passat letters.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips everyone. I cleaned up the paint with a little bit of rubbing alcohol (thanks Jesstzn), boxed out the area with some painters tape and a thin slat of wood then used a rag and a j-roller to apply some pressure once I had it in place. Because of the size, it looks pretty stealthy (in the dark, you couldn't really make it out that well half way down the driveway from the garage, I'll get a better look tomorrow in the light). It doesn't stand out from a distance like the 1.8T on the Jettas does.

I hemmed and hawed about whether to bottom or top justify, but finally decided to top justify - it just looked odd bottom justified when the dominant line across our Variant is the window right above.

I'll post some pics once I figure out how to upload them to my Shaw account. Of course now I have a 6"x3" patch that has no road grime left on it (should fix that tomorrow after a return trip for some skiing).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
Petra Passat
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing