Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In light of the current SUV/Crossover craze that threatens the midsize sedan, I was quite happy to hear that a new Chattanooga Passat was coming as a 2020 model . Then, I learned it was not going to be on the MQB Platform. The execs that handle VW's NA sales claim that American Passat buyers like them as they already are, so why spend the money to change it to MQB? I do like my 2014 as is and also realize that if we had the Euro B8 here, it would cost about $40K and IMO even our version here still blows away any rental sedan I've driven. I'm a rare enthusiast that LIKES sedans and also couldn't care less if some other car can get to 60 mph 3 or 4 seconds faster than my 170 horse Passat, so I must fit the mold of what the guys in Marketing are describing, but at the same time, I can't help but feel that this could very well be a sugar-coated way of saying that they're going to milk a few more sales out of it before letting it die, especially since Atlas variants, all on the MQB, are being planned in Chattanooga. What do you guys think? I suppose if the latter is indeed the case, I could switch to a Jetta or Arteon,( if it's ever released and doesn't suffer the same fate as the CC or the Phaeton before that). The thing is, I LOVE Passats and would not like to be faced with that choice. which brings up yet another scenario: For all I know, the inevitable arrival of EVs could make all current VW model names obsolete. I always assumed that there would still be 2035 Passats, Jettas, Golfs, whatever, except with electric motors instead of ICE, but who knows? There may be totally new names for future electric VWs, which would make today's offerings become dead names like Type 1, Karman Ghia, Fastback, etc......

·
Administrator
23,309 Posts
Do not take offense to the following, it is merely my observation and opinion.

The current Passat (NMS) in the US was made to cater to American tastes. I owned a 2014 TDI SEL Premium. It felt hollow to me. Yes, it handled OK and rode nicer than any domestic competitor, but it didn't feel like a VW. It was too "American", meaning that it didn't have the feel and driving experience of a typical German car. It was a little too soft and disconnected. It was strictly a point A to point B comfortable car. The only VW feel to it was the interior trim. I preferred my 150k mile 04 B5.5 Passat over it. I bought a 2013 CC not long after and it was a night and day difference. It was much tighter, well put together, solid, and handled much better. I felt connected to it when driving.

VW did their research and gave the typical American sedan buyer what they wanted. A Camry/Accord/Fusion/Malibu that looked like a VW.

If they did turn it into an MQB car, the die hard German car buyer would love it and it would have all access to other MQB upgrades and goodies. The buyer that would purchase an NMS car would either not really notice or not be swayed by it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't take offense at all. I'm a very different type of VW enthusiast as it is. A Passat, even the current US version, is night and day to my 2000 New Beetle, but I like soft, Buick-like rides. I am also aware that not too many Passat owners are enthusiasts in clubs that go to shows all summer. I noticed the difference in my Passat to many rental sedans, but will confess I loved a Camry I rented as well. I'm biased toward VW, a nearly 60-year-old Fanboy, I guess, so barring being blindfolded, if something has a VW badge, I probably automatically find it better than, say, something like a Chevy Malibu or a Hyundai Sonata. I just hope VW continues to offer the American Passat despite everything else going to MQB, but the fact that it has intentionally been left on an older platform makes me and many others think it's on borrowed time. But....sometimes, VW does weird things in different demographics and markets, for example as recently as about 10 years ago, the Golfs in South Africa were still MK 1s! So maybe they will separate the Soccer Moms/grandpas from the people that are into GTIs or, say, Arteons or Audi A6s or Golf Rs. They could still move around 50K decontented Passats a year here on average.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another thing here.....Now that it's been announced that VW's last ICE run will commence in 2026, one could expect every new VW after about 2035 or so to be on the MEB platform (electric). So the big question is: Will there be an MEB Passat down the road, or will all the new EVs have totally different names that will make the Golf, Jetta, Passat badges as obsolete as the Karman Ghia or Squareback, Fox, Corrado, etc?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Another thing here.....Now that it's been announced that VW's last ICE run will commence in 2026, one could expect every new VW after about 2035 or so to be on the MEB platform (electric). So the big question is: Will there be an MEB Passat down the road, or will all the new EVs have totally different names that will make the Golf, Jetta, Passat badges as obsolete as the Karman Ghia or Squareback, Fox, Corrado, etc?
That's an interesting thought. I would assume they would keep the popular and well-know names rather than coming up with totally new ones. We're on our 4th Passat now. Started with a B5 straight out of College which lasted 14 years and 225K miles. Then we got the scandalous B7 2014 SEL Premium TDI, which was bought back in January 2017. We replaced the buyback with a 2017 SEL premium. Which had quality issues and went back to the dealer repeatedly for the same rattling noise that couldn't be accurately diagnosed. At last when it was diagnosed and treated at a different dealer (Came from the freakin' frame itself!!!), it was in an accident and declared a total loss.

Keeping our loyalty to the Passat and loving the loaded features and superb cabin and trunk space, we wanted to replace it with the same, but VW has stopped offering the SEL Premium for 2019 (God knows why), but we managed to find a 2018 with only 5200 miles on it. Disappointed, to just find out that this new one has less features that the one that was totaled. Especially the electric folding mirrors and the Homelink on the rear view mirror which were very handy. Why would you eliminate features from your top trim and make it less competitive?

I was skeptical then happy with the Chattanooga Passat production. However quality seems to be slipping on the assembly line. So, VWofA has to focus on both Quality in workmanship and Quantity of what they are offering in the Passat to keep me loyal to them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts