Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2020 vw Passat R Line brand new and has 20,000 miles on it as of now. I’m having issues with the low oil light coming on every 750 to 1000 miles. Brought to dealership and they can’t find anything wrong with it. Getting annoying at this point. I’ve been told German cars are known for burning oil but this much is ridiculous.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wrong forum, this is for the old timer B5 experts. :D

Is the problem the low oil light is coming on, or is the problem it's low on oil? These are two drastically different problems.

German cars are known for burning diesel, which is an oil, but otherwise that's not something I'm aware of. More importantly burning that much oil in 1000 miles is ridiculous for any make. You'd be putting up more smoke than a Snoop Dog concert.

I'd suggest buying a newspaper, read the sports and comics, then throw the business section under the car when you park it at night. If there's a leak, which seems highly likely, you might be able to locate it. Or at least rule it out.

I honestly don't know what sensors and codes a 2020 generates, but burning that much oil should throw something. There is a break in period when the rings and cylinder become intimately acquainted, prior to which new engines do burn more oil. I assume the dealership is probably telling you this is normal and since there are no codes they top you up and send you on your way. That may very well be the case, but if you do the newspaper trick you can be confident it isn't leaking oil.

Best of luck.

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,186 Posts
x2 on Furcifernova's question on clarifying the issue. Have you visually verified with a dipstick that the oil is low? I could assume you did, but you did not mention it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Check your States Lemon law, I assume the dealer checked for leaks. If it is burning that much oil and the dealer is only topping it off, you have a big problem.

The lemon law requires the dealer to take the vehicle back after bringing it in a certain number of times, in NY it is 4 times, after that they are forced to take it back by law. Usually the threat of lemon law action makes the dealer go the extra mile to repair the vehicle, because a lemon law vehicle has a marked title that follows the vehicle forever which makes it worth less when buying or selling.

If you are not turned off, and you shouldn't be, if your car is taken back by the dealer you can replace with a new 2022, or a like new CPO with a longer warranty. Please update the forum with your results.
Good luck,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts