Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks, I am new to the forum and this is my first VW. I have some concerns about the operation of my new 2018 Passat se with technology. The dealer tells me this is what I should expect from this car and it is running normally. My concern is that after I brake for a red light, as I remove my foot from the brake, the car sort of jumps/shutters as if it the transmission has just gone from neutral to 1st gear. As I accelerate with a steady foot on the gas, the car bogs down when it goes into 2nd gear and I have to increase pedal pressure to try to keep the car going smoothly. This is all with the car in the D mode. Surprisingly, if I run the car in S mode, the car runs much smoother through the whole sequence. The only problem there is the shift points are so long, the engine starts to whine and that becomes annoying. I have never had a car that runs this way so I'm not sure if this is German engineering or this car actually has something a miss. I would appreciate any input form other Passat owners. Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I picked up a 2018 Passat SE (no tech package) today and I noticed this same thing. At first I thought it had an auto off function, but realized the engine wasn’t turning off. But what you described with you it drives is identical to what I feel.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I would assume that all three of you have the DSG transmission. What you are describing is pretty common. When you are stopped and the car is in "D" (Drive) and your foot is on the brake the two clutches in the transmission disengage. Then when you take your foot off the brake the transmission has to figure out which gear to start in, hence the LAG !!!

Try this when you are stopped to engage the parking brake and let your foot of the brake. You will see that the RPM's go higher and the car wants to move since the brake is not engaged. The brake pedal when depressed tells the DSG tranny to switch to "NEUTRAL".

There are two companies that I know of who can "TUNE" the DSG transmission to overcome this.
1.) Malone Tuning
2.) Kerma Tuning
Google them and find a dealer near you to get the DSG tuned properly, NO the VW dealer won't and can't do that.

DSG stands for Direkt-Schalt-Getriebe or direct shift gearbox. One can essentially treat it as two manual gearboxes working alternatively but packed inside one housing and therefore it uses two clutches and two gear shafts (one for each 'box, so to speak) to deliver power to the wheels.

Read this link to find out how exactly a DSG works:
https://www.thoughtco.com/dual-clutch-direct-shift-transmission-533860

1 - 4 of 4 Posts