Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I had a crash on my 2017 Passat on the front wheel on highway, the front drivers side wheel took a big hit on concrete. Immediately the car was throwing random codes (ABS -Traction) the wheel was visibly bent downward. I replaced the wheel bearing, lower control arm, Outer tie rod and ball joint on the driver's side. The codes are now gone, but every time i go over 40 mph the car has a traction light and pulls right. I still see that the wheel is somewhat bent (bent downwards). Any idea what else might be wrong? Everything else seemed fine, I'm looking for suggestions/ advice where to start? could it be the steering Rack-pinon assembly or just the sensor needs calibrated. Thanks.

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,028 Posts
What about the strut, ABS sensor and axle?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The axle was replaced but upon inspection I believe the axle was fine - the ABS sensor works alright since after replacing the wheel bearing the ABS light is gone . I haven’t had a detailed look at the front strut. But just by looking at it if seemed fine . However I will be looking at the strut more closely. -thank you for responding .

·
Super Moderator
13,803 Posts
Seems like maybe you have a reluctor ring alignment/condition or abs sensor issue that is activating stability control and activating the right front brake giving you the pulling. I would keep digging into that stuff since it explains the traction light illuminating and then the car pulling. I would also look at the right side ABS sensor and reluctor ring even though you hit the left.

·
Registered
2013 B7 2.5 L
44 Posts
Sensor issue: If a grinder was used during the work, iron filings can stick to the magnets or to the sensor depending on the type of system. This can screw up the speed signal only when moving.

The toothed ring in the bearing can be physically damaged - like it was pounded in with a hammer.

The wiring of course moves with suspension movements, and if there is a crack in the copper wire this can also screw up the signal only when moving.

Disconnect the battery and hook up a continuity tester (multi-meter that beeps when probes touch) to each wire between the sensor connector and the abs module, one by one - and wiggle the wiring. You may find the harness is damaged internally.

Caution - The attached is from a B7 2013. But I can't imagine much has changed other than the large connector on the ABS module. See if you can trace your wires back and check continuity while moving them around. G47 to J104. From the ABS sensor, through the wheel skirt, into a larger harness, and up to the ABS Control Module.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems like maybe you have a reluctor ring alignment/condition or abs sensor issue that is activating stability control and activating the right front brake giving you the pulling. I would keep digging into that stuff since it explains the traction light illuminating and then the car pulling. I would also look at the right side ABS sensor and reluctor ring even though you hit the left.
Thanks for the response, The ring is built into the HUB so it's a brand-new ring on there, and it's a magnetic sensor. Still looking into it, i suspect the steering knuckle and the strut at this point.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sensor issue: If a grinder was used during the work, iron filings can stick to the magnets or to the sensor depending on the type of system. This can screw up the speed signal only when moving.

The toothed ring in the bearing can be physically damaged - like it was pounded in with a hammer.

The wiring of course moves with suspension movements, and if there is a crack in the copper wire this can also screw up the signal only when moving.

Disconnect the battery and hook up a continuity tester (multi-meter that beeps when probes touch) to each wire between the sensor connector and the abs module, one by one - and wiggle the wiring. You may find the harness is damaged internally.

View attachment 107545 Caution - The attached is from a B7 2013. But I can't imagine much has changed other than the large connector on the ABS module. See if you can trace your wires back and check continuity while moving them around. G47 to J104. From the ABS sensor, through the wheel skirt, into a larger harness, and up to the ABS Control Module.
Thanks for the Idea - ill be doing this wiring continuity test real quick today and find out. I am suspecting the strut and the steering knuckle at this point. And no angle grinder was used. its magnetic system and i made sure there were no filings dust or debris before installation. The ring is on the hub bearing and it was brand new.

Thanks for the advice and ill find out more today.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update : got the alignment done and reset the steering angle sensor - the guy recommended replacing the strut assembly. For now id drives straight without issues. Thanks everyone for the advice :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts