Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's coming up again in less than two weeks, October 7-10 in Robbinsville, NC with day trips to Helen, GA and other surrounding mountain destinations. Because we rented two houses this year, we still have 2-3 bunks available. Lodging is ~$100pp for all three nights. PM me for more info if you are interested. Five weeks from now, you could be grinning ear-to-ear, sharing your adventures, telling fish stories about dragon runs, and generally plotting your escape for the same time in 2017. There's still time. The worst part of this trip is by far the wait for the next one when it's over for this year.

Here's the running participant list as of 26 September 2016:

1. Keith Bloom (B7 Audi S4 Cabriolet)
2. Dan Michael (B5.5 Passat Variant 1.8T)
3. Steve Mrazek (B5 Passat 1.8BFT)
4. Matt Valentine (B5 Passat 1.8T)
5. Brady Hatcher (B8 Audi S5)
6. James Hartung (B8 Audi S4 3.0T)
7. Katherine Helmetag (BMW Motorcycle)
8. Jim Griffin (997 Porsche Carrera Cabriolet)
9. Daniel Clohessy (B7 Audi RS4 4.2L)
10. Matthew Jodoin (B7 Passat CC 2.0T)
11. Harry Karger (B5.5 Passat Variant 1.8FrankenTurbo)
12. Hugh Brien (Hellcat....'nuff said)
13. Greg Clemens (Mazda3)

Here's the details:

5 weeks and counting down.

The troop of VW/Audi-related FB group and website moderators Steve Mrazek ("Steve in Chicago"), Keith Bloom ("KeithWBloom"), and James Hartung ("R36Dreams") are doing it again.

Here are links to our clubhouse compounds for the weekend: The Treetops | Tail of the Dragon Vacation Rentals on the Cherohala Skyway near Deals Gap 828-479-8400 and The Ridge | Tail of the Dragon Vacation Rentals on the Cherohala Skyway near Deals Gap 828-479-8400

We meet up in Robbinsville, NC at a rental property that features a detached 20'x40' heated garage game room and wing it from there. There will be beer, bourbon, ribeyes, and even some local moonshine after hours (no driving allowed.) Days are spent on some of the most scenic and challenging back roads in North America, including the 5,000+ foot elevation Cherohala Skyway and the 318 turns in 11 miles of the Tail of the Dragon. We will also be making a day trip excursion to Octoberfest in Helen, GA (former site of the Southern Worthersee event) down a the length of "Moonshiner 28" the legendary road that is the cradle of NASCAR.

We have The Treetops and Ridge houses for Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights this year. It is clean and comfortable. Don't expect turn-down service. Rack space at the Treetops limited to first 8 confirmed guests. We have also reserved the adjacent Ridge compound with its 30x50 detatched garage and 7 bunks.

If you're a VW/Audi driver or even just a rabid fan, you're welcome to join us. If you can play well with others come romp with us on some of the nation's best driving roads in some of the year's best conditions. Cool evenings, bright clear days. 4,000 - 6,000 foot plus elevations.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
Today I ordered a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R in the 225/40R18 size. I got them from The Tire Rack at $181.55 per corner for a total of $726.20 worth of round super sticky rubber. Shipping was another $57.04 from South Bend Indiana to Chicago.

I also sent a set of axles to our friends at Raxles for rebuild.

I have a 70mph shake that I still haven't been able to exorcise from the car.

I spoke with Jason at Mobile One Inc about getting the car ready for the trip for me. I'd love to lose that 70/mph shake and get a larger water/meth reservoir.

I have a new Black Forest Industries snub mount waiting to go in. This thing is hard like a frozen hockey puck.

Yes, the excitement is starting to grow. :driving:

·
Registered
26,976 Posts
I had hoped to have my car ready and have time available, but my injuries this year have put me too far behind the work on my car. Maybe next year, as I will not be able to complete my car until I have time off again after Christmas.

Have fun (that is a given) and be safe.

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,997 Posts
A plug change, headlight adjuster fix, a possible inner TRE and a good spit shine should do me. Going to wear the 15s down and back since it's a straight highway shot for me and I want to conserve the little of what's left on the 17s. New rubber in the spring.

This might be the last big trip for the wagon for a while. Clutch and maybe a newer transmission will be on the list after this.

The great thing about this is that you don't have to go fast on these roads to have shedloads of fun.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
I've got to retrieve my Passat from Wisconsin where I parked it two weeks ago and get it to the shop in Glenview Illinois so they can get it ready. I'll get that done over this weekend.

I've submitted my "time off" paperwork at work.

I still need to take a trip to the south side and pick up 5 gallons of VP Racing methanol and mix up some water/meth solution. I'm almost out of the last batch.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If this was just a week later, I'd do this in a heartbeat, but that weekend, I have to work and it's now too late to request it off.....:(

·
Registered
182 Posts
I doubt it. Where I work, you have to give at least 2 weeks notice for time off requests, and even then, someone has to be willing to switch days. After all those hoops, they won't even approve of it until just a few days before it happens because of our high turnover. If this was just a week later I could do it.

·
clemclan is offline.
1,057 Posts
I just saw this today, and PM sent to keithwbloom to get info to attend. Sounds like a great event, and I'll be there if there's still room! :driving:

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
That list so needs a W8 in it.
I'll see what I can do for next year.

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,997 Posts
T'was a great time had by all. Fire breathing moonshine, amazing roads with amazing weather, awesome cars, and balls to the wall driving done by all (even me).
7278753-129Slayer.jpg 7279637-129Slayer.jpg

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
One of the two houses we rented. This one is called The Treetops and the other is called The Ridge.
More pix and info here... http://www.thetreetops.com/

Had to add some VW-ness to the decor.

Hot tub and party deck at The Treetops. The Ridge also has a hot tub and a much larger garage.

The Treetops main house directly behind the party deck. To the right is one of the garages.

We always leave a reminder that we were there.

Fire-pit area where locally sourced moonshine was sampled. There was some fire-blowing as the night progressed.

Atomic Alex found a new place to visit. It's a small natural falls that drops over the roadway. We ate lunch there.

Fontana Dam.

I've no idea how many TONS of metal they used to cast this turbine. Imagine the amount of energy flowing through this part.

Our staging point at the beginning of The Dragon Run.

Homemade smoked ribs from VAGguy. Amazing stuff.

Even though Atomic Alex was there, it was still sort of a sausage party.

Dump-cakes

We run over to the town of Helen for Oktoberfest.

There is a FMIC hiding behind all those leaves.

This is from the run up the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was foggy and rainy that day. Imagine charging through the clouds at speed, at elevation. Some exhilarating driving.

·
clemclan is offline.
1,057 Posts
What a great time! Thanks to Keith, Steve and James for organizing this, Keith, Dan, Matt and Kathy for cooking, and to everyone for making it so much fun. If you've ever even thought about doing this, DO IT! :driving:

·
Registered
182 Posts
How many Passats attended this? While I'm here, I thought I'd update my info. On October 4, my 2005 GL was totalled in a stupid accident. A neighbor backed out of her driveway as I was slowly driving by. Since the car was 11 years old and had 115K on it, the $5300+ damage exceeded the book retail. I'm now in a 2014 Chattanooga Passat and would be interested in doing this next year provided the driving isn't insane as it is in a water-cooled group I'm in here.

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,997 Posts
4 passats, but that doesn't matter. We are all either members as current and former passat owners or friends.
After owning a 2014 tdi SELP, it will be a bit of a handful because the suspension is so soft, but you will still have loads of fun driving it. Clemclan made it from WI in his Mazda3 that replaced his b5. Debating whether I bring my b5.5 wagon again or let the CC stretch it's legs next time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts