Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please excuse any ignorance as I am new to this site

I have a 2015 Passat with 1.8 engine and 80,000 miles. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed that the engine was surging after driving for about 1.5 miles and stopping at a light. The engine while stopped, would do this for a few minutes, or until I started driving. Was fine after that for the rest of the day.

I am now noticing it at that time, and sporadically while idling. I also witness some jerking in stop and go traffic when removing my foot from the accelerator. These symptoms do not happen all the time, but at some point at least once a day it seems. There has been no check engine light until 2 days ago. Stopped at an auto parts store where they reviewed the codes. It displayed misfires at all 4 cylinders. I took to my mechanic who reviewed with his computer, and he didn't find anything, and the check engine light was off by then.

After he test drove, he believes it was happening due to the VVT solenoid, and too much time between oil changes. He suggested an engine flush, and a fresh oil change. That has been completed, and the symptoms appear to have lessened, but are still present infrequently.

I am unaware of the VVT solenoid. Is this difficult / expensive to replace? Does anyone agree / disagree with the diagnosis?

Appreciate any guidance...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I remember the previous 1.8t engines had issues with the solenoid packs going. i would do an 80k tune up. sparks, solenoid packs ect.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah sounds like the coil packs. They aren't expensive or difficult to replace. This based on the misfiring information. For a car at this age has the spark plugs ever been replaced? Probably check it along with the coil packs. Its fairly straight forward process.

For these Passats the MAP sensor should also be checked and cleaned for oil residue as part of regular 60K Maintenance.

Have you ever changed the fluid for your auto transmission? If not do so as well. Should be changed every 50K miles.

Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.