Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, this is my first post so I hope I have this in the right place.

We have a 2015 Passat Wolfsburg edition and we live in Las Vegas, so crazy hot summer temps. Last summer, the ac started blowing warmer and it would take a while for the ac to start cooling. I took it to an ac shop and they guy said it was a little low on freon. I bought some store stuff and topped it off and everything worked fine.

Two days ago, we took a road trip that lasted 3 hours. About an hour into the trip, the amount of air flow out of the vents reduced almost to zero. The blower was still running and you could feel a tiny bit of cold air at the vents, but it wasn't flowing. We stopped the car and turned it off and let it sit for a few minutes. When we started it back up, the air was flowing fine again. 30 minutes into the trip it started reducing flow again. We kept trying to turn the ac off and on with no change. We also tried changing from fresh to recirculate with no change and we also tried changing the venting from feet to windshield and back to vents. I even tried dropping the gear from overdrive to 5th gear to boost the rpm's from 2300 to 3000 for a couple of minutes to see if that would do anything. Nothing.

On the way home, the same thing happened. When we got off of the freeway and back into some start and stop traffic, it started blowing just fine again. I'm a bit stumped at what this could be. Is there a possibility that a vacuum pump loses some suction or maybe starts to run slow with a long distance trip? We have a trip coming up in August where we are driving to San Diego. 4 hours of driving with out ac will be rough!

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Jon

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever resolve the issue? Almost certainly due to faulty A/C control solenoid. Part is available on eBay for ~$17 and a shop will charge you ~$300 to $400 to replace... If your's is like mine, it will eventually fail completely.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts