Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Last year my 2014 TSI’s rpms were surging, very sporadically and usually while I was idling. The frequency increased to the point that it was happening almost daily and to the point that the car was bouncing back and forth. It was at the shop (an Audi/VW specialty shop) for like 2 1/2 months. They determined that it was the timing chain, also replaced the radiator, spark plugs and a few other random things. Fast forward a year, it starts happening again, this time the ESC light is often coming on when it happens. I took it back to the same shop, they replaced the cam shaft adjuster arm magnet. I had the car back a week, driving down the highway about an hour from home it starts violently jerking. That was the only time that it’s happened to that degree. 2 days later I go to leave my home and it says the key isn’t in range, it would only start when I put the key near where the ignition would be. Before I even put the car in gear the ESC light comes on, this continues for about 24 hours. My husband (who is a diesel mechanic but won’t do any major work on the VW) now believes that it’s an electrical issue vs mechanical. The shop obviously has no idea what the issue is. I’ll take any feedback or thoughts you guys have! TIA! Love the car but this is getting real old.

·
Registered
26,209 Posts
I know very little about the TSI engines, but I would take it to the dealer at this point.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
For starters, ESC means Electronic Stability Control. Beyond that, this is something that will need diagnosing with an advanced scan tool like they have at the dealer. If you get a diagnosis and post the codes, we can help determine if they’re blowing smoke up your tailpipe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts