Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Less German, but more attractive
by Mike Schlee

The Passat may be as important to Chattanooga, Tennessee as the Choo-Choo or the Outlooks Double-A baseball team. Roughly 2,000 local residents build the Volkswagen Passat for consumption in North America, Korea and the Middle East. The American built Passat is also important to another group of people: the executives of Volkswagen.

When the Tennessee plant first opened in 2011, the Volkswagen faithful were up in arms. Worried the German engineered Passat would be diluted in is relocation stateside, many wrote off the Passat right from the start.

But one other (very important) group of people did not turn their backs on the Passat: consumers. At 117,023 units sold last year, Passat sales have never been stronger; up over 400% from 2011 when the Passat was in the process of immigrating to the USA. So for 2013 one can’t really blame Volkswagen for not changing the formula too much.
Read the complete 2013 Volkswagen Passat Review at AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
593 Posts
Ehhhhh this style isnt really giving me any hopes for the future... Interior is a huge deal breaker for me and with fake looking carbon fiber plastics... Ill have to say no :thumbdown

·
Registered
14 Posts
yea same here, I just hate the fact that VW Americanized their north american line up of cars. I mean it seems like they're just cheaply put together now, like the craftsmanship was lost, and look at how big those damn headlights are!!! :O
that's mainly why i like driving my B5 is because it isn't some american POS, sorry i just kind of resent some american cars and the way they're built.
but I bet this things interior is probably full of plastic knobs and maybe pleather, I'm just disappointed with you VW

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Americanization also killed off the 5-passenger Passat wagon, which is what brought me into the VW/Audi fold in the first place. Fortunately, the Golf-based "Jetta" Sportwagen keeps growing, so that's probably my next car, a few years from now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You have to be smoking crack not to think this is a good looking car, though that sand color sucks and background is horrid. I have a Black 2013 tdi SE and there is nothing else in that price range that even comes close to the mileage and space of the backseats and trunk, plus looks way better than any other mid size sedan in that price point . I have two kids and can keep my stroller, Sam's club Groceries, wal mart groceries and still have room to spare. To agree with you guys, they shouldn't have skimped on the led head and tail lights that are on the Chinese spec.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The exterior lines of car are clean and the interior is also clean looking. At first look, the car is old school, but looking, it grow on me and after doing the math and test drive, I lease it and I love it so far. I have the V6 Premiere package, with the wood gain and black interior and silver Exterior. I had the 5 cylinder for 5 day, (my car was in for repair) Warranty. The color was white the interior was beige. The beige with the metal trim, does look cheap, and engine is a little to slow for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You have to be smoking crack not to think this is a good looking car, though that sand color sucks and background is horrid. I have a Black 2013 tdi SE and there is nothing else in that price range that even comes close to the mileage and space of the backseats and trunk, plus looks way better than any other mid size sedan in that price point . I have two kids and can keep my stroller, Sam's club Groceries, wal mart groceries and still have room to spare. To agree with you guys, they shouldn't have skimped on the led head and tail lights that are on the Chinese spec.
I agree. I was looking at Hybrids but a Passat TDI will be mine next year.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the same stance on the new US made Passat when it arrived. I even decided to go with the German made Golf if we happen to buy another VW. However, I recently drove one as a rental and was very impressed. It was a sweet test drive as we visited the Texas Hill Country.

I recommended it to my stuck up Camry and Accord buying friends...:puke:
May they be blessed with even a German ENGINEERED vehicle!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
First off our new scoot had to be a diesel. Otherwise we would have kept our Durango. All the same we looked... Toyota, Nissan, Subaru, you name it. I fully understand that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but Passat won hands down. And so a black/black TDI Premium came home. And when she came home she joined a stable of three other TDI's.

So... The new Passat is unlike the Passat of the past. Absolutely a fact. Whether good or bad is a matter of opinion as the old and new Passat are totally different vehicles. But let's be honest here, the Passat of old was no match for the competition. Not that it wasn't a great car but more that its appeal was to a narrow market.

Now my wife doesn't give a care about the technical aspects of a vehicle. Her level of care about the old Passat versus the new comes down to the fact that she has difficulty telling the old Passat from my A5 Jetta... And with pretty good reason! Only VW freaks would even care so it seems and most others wouldn't know a Passat if it bit them..

So let's talk about the new Passat. We can lament that it's been de-contented compared to the Passat of yore and maybe this is true. But look what VW did to the Jetta and it's selling like hot cakes. And so perhaps the new Passat has more in common with the high line A5 Jetta than anything else. Is that bad?

I like my A5. It's a great car. I like the appearance of the new Jetta too, but not some of the lesser features. The Passat, though, is drop dead gorgeous. I might change a few things on the interior, but it's tasteful and well done. Take a close look at this car and compare it to the competition. Go ahead and nitpick. The Passat still exudes a level of class the others can't meet. Perhaps it's the elegant simplicity. I really don't know. And all is lost because it isn't the Passat of old? I don't think so.

Then the Passat has the TDI option. Here in the US this is a world beater. What amounts to a luxury sedan returning economy levels only dreamed of by other cars in its general class! This is big. Who would have thought?

Then there's the fact that the Passat is still a VW. Either you love their peculiarities or you hate them. All I can say is that our new Passat comes with a boatload of what might be expected of VW. Some things good and some things we just live with. On balance, though, a stunningly beautiful car which suggests something other than the somewhat pedestrian VW of old.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ehhhhh this style isnt really giving me any hopes for the future... Interior is a huge deal breaker for me and with fake looking carbon fiber plastics... Ill have to say no :thumbdown
Agreed. Not sold on the interior. Lots of space for passengers...no joke. But not a fan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts