Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow, the B7 is way better looking than the B6 Passat! Putem side by side and you tell me which one looks better. Plus Everyother automaker is going gay with hybrids, diesels all the way. Camry doesn't come close.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Let's hold off looks for the moment and focus on design. Design is largely dictated by aerodynamics ( fuel economy ) today and our vehicles have a commonality in that we humans must be accommodated inside a pretty much predetermined package. Thus designers are presented with a fixed set of ingredients and the instructions with which to bake a cake and about the only option open is the icing. Given the above it should come as no great surprise that many manufacturers offer vehicles that share design features. So, yes, the Passat and the Chevy do look somewhat alike at first glance. That's a bad thing?

I would suggest that it's the little details that set Passat so far apart from the others. No silly bubbles for headlamps. None of the meaningless curvy swoops so common to others. No chrome splotches on the sides or the trunk. Door panels that seal out wind and turbulence... And the list goes on.

So now we get to styling... Passat incorporates so much styling so simply. I've said this before. Passat is like that one woman who walks into a party without the benefit of makeup or jewelery wearing a simple dress and she turns the heads of everyone. Passat is simply elegant. She needs no chrome nor does she need silly bumps here or there. All she has to do is enter the room.

And therein lies her brilliance in design and style. Of course this is a personal opinion and the fact that within her heart beats a TDI which is a game changer for those of us who prefer the perfume at a diesel pump. But Passat even makes this a rare occurrence!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Let's hold off looks for the moment and focus on design. Design is largely dictated by aerodynamics ( fuel economy ) today and our vehicles have a commonality in that we humans must be accommodated inside a pretty much predetermined package. Thus designers are presented with a fixed set of ingredients and the instructions with which to bake a cake and about the only option open is the icing. Given the above it should come as no great surprise that many manufacturers offer vehicles that share design features. So, yes, the Passat and the Chevy do look somewhat alike at first glance. That's a bad thing?

I would suggest that it's the little details that set Passat so far apart from the others. No silly bubbles for headlamps. None of the meaningless curvy swoops so common to others. No chrome splotches on the sides or the trunk. Door panels that seal out wind and turbulence... And the list goes on.

So now we get to styling... Passat incorporates so much styling so simply. I've said this before. Passat is like that one woman who walks into a party without the benefit of makeup or jewelery wearing a simple dress and she turns the heads of everyone. Passat is simply elegant. She needs no chrome nor does she need silly bumps here or there. All she has to do is enter the room.

And therein lies her brilliance in design and style. Of course this is a personal opinion and the fact that within her heart beats a TDI which is a game changer for those of us who prefer the perfume at a diesel pump. But Passat even makes this a rare occurrence!
None of this justifies making the car fatter and less agile.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I don't know if anyone has seen the Euro spec Passats but they are gorgeous. Bi-Xenon lights, LED Tails. It has all the little details that the US model is lacking.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm torn. I agree the styling is hard to determine between the Jetta and the Passat...but I think it has some nice points as well...i agree though, if it isn't available with a small turbo motor and a true manual trans, then what's the point? Would love to test drive one for shits and gigs though ;)
Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Foroplex

21 - 28 of 28 Posts