Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Further affirming its commitment to deliver an American-focused midsize sedan, Volkswagen will tweak its U.S.-built Passat for 2013 while raising the base price $850.

Among those changes, the car will now come with a standard rear-view camera in SEL trim models, a safety and convenience feature finding its way into more cars every year. From a practical perspective, having a camera aimed behind the car is helpful, but that’s not the only thing VW is focusing on for next year’s car.

Cup holders are a key point of interest for the German automaker. The 2013 Passat will feature a rethought center console with better features to fit your Big Gulps, Starbucks cups and whatever juice, jug or junk drink your thirst desires.

Aside from the more Americanized cup holders, the center console will also have rear seat air vents and a tweaked front stowage area. In 2012, the Passat underwent major surgery meant to make it more appealing in the U.S. market. Despite being a gamble, the car has been a strong success. Still, Volkswagen isn’t satisfied that the car is competitive enough against cars like the Toyota Camry, though it hopes the changes will help.
Read the complete story on the 2013 Passat at AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
180 Posts
In comfort, driving enjoyment and looks, the passat is much better than the camry. Now if VW can make it as reliable, that would blow me away!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm still not sure if I like the idea of my German car being built in U.S. Seems like the new model dubs are losing a lot of their european styling that attracted me to the VW brand in the first place. I look at the passat at the top of this story and it reminds me of every other domestic car out there, but mostly a chevy.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Read the complete story on the 2013 Passat at AutoGuide.com
As one of the posts stated, the new Passat looks nice, but it doesn't make my heart "skip a beat"... I own a 2008 Passat 2.0T, and it still grabs more attention than the new 2012 model. One more beef I have with VW is the choice of engines; why am I forced to go to a much more expensive option trim to get a more peppy car (6cyl)? Honestly I would have even considered trading in my 08 if the new model offered the 2.0T engine that I have grown very fond of. I enjoy those quick blasts at low speeds.

VW, you can add all the cupholders and options you want to try to compete against toyota, honda, nissan and American car makers, but don't forget your roots and the quality of your design which has made millions of devoted fans all over the world.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gotta agree that the Passat is a bit ho hum. We had a 1999 Passat V6 that we only recently parted with, and it was a stunner at the time, and fast. We picked up a 2009 CC with the VR6 engine in late 2009 but kept the 1999 Passat as a backup for two years, only parting with it to sell it to a neighbor's kid.

The CC does turn heads. It's my wife's car, and she STILL has people ask her what it is and comment on how nice it looks. And that thing is bullet out of a gun fast. We were coming back from a beach trip over the weekend, and when we were gassing up at Costco, I saw the new Passat close up, and I thought it was a Jetta at first. And it was just so plain looking. I've not been inside it and I've not driven one, so maybe it's not that bad, but I was expecting more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think it is great they are finally making the rear backup camera available for the Passat, but I am wondering if they will be offering a rear camera kit to fit the 2012 model. Does anyone know if this option will become available to 2012 owners?

In addition, I was wondering if VW plans to update the software within the Passat to offer the following options.
1. Auto Close Car Windows and Sun Roof when rain is sensed on the front windshield. I have seen several videos on the web of people manually implementing this change through 3rd party software, but I was told by VW that if I implemented this change it would void my warranty. So I would like to know when VW plans to officially make this option available.
2. Auto Open and Close the Car Windows based on the position of the key within the Key Fob upon Locking and Unlocking the car. It would be nice if the car owner could automatically open the car windows as they are approaching the car from the key fob based on the positioning of the key (Open or Closed).
3. Lastly, this is low on my list but when are they going to start selling the molded splash guards for the Passat?

Any information you and/or anyone else might have on these topics would be great.

Thank you

·
Registered
13 Posts
In my opinion B6 needs to have a back up camera - the rear window offers very limited visibility. It is good VW finally agreed to that, but it took them years!
I saw somewhere a kit to add rear view camera, but the monitor for it was quite bulky. It was not VW produced accessory.
I would want mine to have 4WD and manual and my choice of engine, without mandatory use of automatic and V6, as it was previously.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I really hope that they either build a wagon off of this model or bring the Alltrack!
Good luck with that. VW seems to have turned its back on us wagonheads, the one exception being the Jetta Sportwagen. I hope they keep that baby stateside and don't kill it off...

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I'm still not sure if I like the idea of my German car being built in U.S. Seems like the new model dubs are losing a lot of their european styling that attracted me to the VW brand in the first place. I look at the passat at the top of this story and it reminds me of every other domestic car out there, but mostly a chevy.
It seems to be kind of a "me too" car whose mission is sales volume in a population that views cars as appliances instead of entertainment devices.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i have had my 2012 passat for about 10 months now. i got the sel tdi. i could not be more pleased. i have had zero biyer's remorse and zero problems or repairs. i think the changes r fine, esp., the rear camera, but the rear vents r not truly necessary--the a/c in my black has performed splendidly for rear seat passengers, some of whom pride themselves on being complainers and i have ridden there too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good luck with that. VW seems to have turned its back on us wagonheads, the one exception being the Jetta Sportwagen. I hope they keep that baby stateside and don't kill it off...
x2....we need some kind of wagon to stay stateside with the brand, or else they loose the interest of people like me who camp and have a kid and 2 dogs to take with them when they go places for vacation and don't want to settle for less gas mileage just to drive an SUV!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
As one of the posts stated, the new Passat looks nice, but it doesn't make my heart "skip a beat"... I own a 2008 Passat 2.0T, and it still grabs more attention than the new 2012 model. One more beef I have with VW is the choice of engines; why am I forced to go to a much more expensive option trim to get a more peppy car (6cyl)? Honestly I would have even considered trading in my 08 if the new model offered the 2.0T engine that I have grown very fond of. I enjoy those quick blasts at low speeds.

VW, you can add all the cupholders and options you want to try to compete against toyota, honda, nissan and American car makers, but don't forget your roots and the quality of your design which has made millions of devoted fans all over the world.
As far has sticking with their roots, it falls on deaf ears. Just look at Jeep and what they have done to the brand. :thumbdown

But if you step back and think. What really makes it a VW. Any car can "look different" but VW has been sticking diesels in cars for decades and they have always stuck to the road like it has 8 legs. And as far as looks? Heck, what car doesn't look like the "other"? Even Ford looks like a bunch of little Jag's running around the streets. Saying the Passat looks like any other midsize sedan is like saying all the other cars handles the same, gets the same MPG. My wife parked next to a Ford Fusion at her work. Both same colors. The VW stood out and appeared more refined and not just pile of modeling clay left in the sun to melt in to the next design. At least they don't look like the droopy azz Jetta from the 90's. :lol:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Ehhh...I mean, it looks nice, and there's nothing particularly wrong with it. But I'm not the biggest fan of it. Like others have said, the thing that has always drawn me to Volkswagen is their distinctive styling. I fell in love with the original Beetle when I was four years old. And now I have one, as well as a 2009 GTI that I drive every day. I love it because it is different--it doesn't look quite like all the other hatchbacks out there. The same goes for the Passat--my boyfriend has a 2005 GLS, even though he's not a huge fan of station wagons. But he likes the Passat because it looks different than others. It appears as though Volkswagen is going with more conservative styling in order to sell more cars. But lately cars have been getting less and less conservative in styling--even your run-of-the-mill Ford looks pretty damn good, and interesting, with lots of interesting stylistic notes and flairs. I hope that Volkswagen eventually brings back some of their interesting styling...I'm not a huge fan of anything past the MKV generation. Again, nothing particularly wrong with them, but if I'm buying a Volkswagen, I want it to look like a Volkswagen.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Ehhh...I mean, it looks nice, and there's nothing particularly wrong with it. But I'm not the biggest fan of it. Like others have said, the thing that has always drawn me to Volkswagen is their distinctive styling. I fell in love with the original Beetle when I was four years old. And now I have one, as well as a 2009 GTI that I drive every day. I love it because it is different--it doesn't look quite like all the other hatchbacks out there. The same goes for the Passat--my boyfriend has a 2005 GLS, even though he's not a huge fan of station wagons. But he likes the Passat because it looks different than others. It appears as though Volkswagen is going with more conservative styling in order to sell more cars. But lately cars have been getting less and less conservative in styling--even your run-of-the-mill Ford looks pretty damn good, and interesting, with lots of interesting stylistic notes and flairs. I hope that Volkswagen eventually brings back some of their interesting styling...I'm not a huge fan of anything past the MKV generation. Again, nothing particularly wrong with them, but if I'm buying a Volkswagen, I want it to look like a Volkswagen.
I'm with ya. Who needs another "me too" car? If you want one of those, buy a Toyota or Honda.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts