Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Really frustrating here's my situation:
Start car, not too slow to start, but the colder it is the longer it takes to "turn over" (I live in Phoenix AZ where cold is 50F/10C). Back out of my short driveway, get on street slowly hit the pedal then lack of power, stuttering, super rough, slowly get up to 25mph/40kph) stuttering all the way, I have to get the RPMs up to about 3k and then it shifts. Drive another few hundred yards/meters and it feels like it gets it's groove on and then opperates fine. Been going on for a couple months, full power, full everything after that "warm up" period. Twice in the past month I tried to push it harder and the glow plug light turns on, lack of power/limp mode feeling, I pull over turn off car and then turn on, all is well, i keep driving, no issues all day. Next day, slow/stutter going and not pushing it early, I go back to normal after 3 minutes of driving and slowly getting up to 3k RPM.

I have gotten an oil change recently, no change. I put in Oil additive, no change. I put in fuel/injector cleaner, no change.

So does it sound like an injector issue, pump issue, transmission issue or the glow plugs?

My dealership wants to charge me an arm and a leg to simply determine what's wrong without wanting to narrow it down first...

2012 Passat TDI SEL, 125k miles (201k Kilometers) timing belt recently replaced and oil filter housing replaced (it cracked and had to be replaced). Stuttering was slight before these repairs, statyed slight but evolved over time to be worse.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Funny you should ask...
I brought it into the dealership for an unrelated issue (alignment - camber was off in front susp.) and asked them to keep it overnight to replicate my issue. They couldn't in the AM. So I said keep it another night (I had a spare car to use... no probs for me) but try to hit it hard before it warms up. Next morning... nope didn't seem to replicate THAT issue but found the Turbo was bad, needs replacing. TDI issues put it back under warranty (current = 127k mi)...phew. They do the turbo and find one of the injectors needs replacing (TDI cheating pays off again for me). So I figure that was the issue all along, not the glow plugs and the turbo issue wouldn't have done what it was/is* doing. $129 and a week later, I'm home with all the recall notices also fixed.

Start it up the next day, slightly warmer morning than before seems fine, *but I can sense something, but not big enough to worry about (127k miles after all). Drive it for the next week and every morning the same thing... like it's a small stutter, but noticeable and still only occurs when engine block is cold. This morning it was a bit cooler than it has been (live in Phoenix, cool is 50F) and the problem seemed to get worse. BUT still not nearly as bad as before. We are heading into 80F degree mornings in the next couple weeks, so I am not panicked, but I still want to get back to the dealer to let them know what's going on. Leaves me wondering if it's not two injectors that were bad and they only caught the one that day.

So long story short, they couldn't find anything wrong with the glow plugs and no codes otherwise.

PS to the whole story for TDI owners who got the "fix"... if the engine light comes on and the problem has something to do with the combustion/exhaust, it will likely be fully covered under the newly extended warranty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts