Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought everyone might be interested in the new race car. First race was this past weekend with no mechanical issues. More information and video on Facebook at Fitzpatrick Autosport.

SECS29jun14 (2).jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really sorry to read the outcome with your car, it looked beautiful. I was just catching up today, I'm new to the Forum, didn't get a chance to read all of your posts. Did you ever find the root cause? (sorry, probably showing too much of my VW Quality Engineer side.) Two weeks ago I was ready to fly to Des Moines to drive back a 1996 VR6 manual wagon, my wife brought me to my senses. To make myself feel better, I leased a 2014 Passat VR6, white / black SEL, identical twin to the race car.

I raced Le Mons and Chump Car in a co-worker's car a few times in the last three years. Best 'bang for the buck' in racing, and probably the most fun! Getting ready to race one of the Jettas of "Das Idiots" (Facebook, Das Idiots) in late July at Laguna Seca in preparation for the SCCA Runoffs this fall.

Glad to meet you, please find Fitzpatrick Autosport on Facebook and keep in touch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Really sorry to read the outcome with your car, it looked beautiful. I was just catching up today, I'm new to the Forum, didn't get a chance to read all of your posts. Did you ever find the root cause? (sorry, probably showing too much of my VW Quality Engineer side.) Everything was too badly burned to make a definitive cause, but the starting point of the fire looked to be in the area where the plastic fuel lines attach to the rubber ones, right under the MAF. We did a major brake overhaul just prior to this race and some of the new brake lines ran pass that area. Maybe something was jarred loose or maybe it was a simple hose rupture. Guess I'll never know for sure.

Two weeks ago I was ready to fly to Des Moines to drive back a 1996 VR6 manual wagon, my wife brought me to my senses. To make myself feel better, I leased a 2014 Passat VR6, white / black SEL, identical twin to the race car.
The Passat is a little heavy for a lemons car, but my last weigh in prior to the fire was 2393 LBS for the car. A lot lighter than I expected.

I raced Le Mons and Chump Car in a co-worker's car a few times in the last three years. Best 'bang for the buck' in racing, and probably the most fun! Getting ready to race one of the Jettas of "Das Idiots" (Facebook, Das Idiots) in late July at Laguna Seca in preparation for the SCCA Runoffs this fall. I'm enjoying it and it's about the only racing I can afford. I had 6K tied up in the Passat, so it's not THAT cheap! ;-)

Glad to meet you, please find Fitzpatrick Autosport on Facebook and keep in touch.Already "liked" ya!
https://www.facebook.com/PassatTetanus?ref_type=bookmark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts