Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, never owned a VW before, I made a noobie mistake. I started the car after removing the dash trim (and attached passenger airbag light), boom - Air Bag Light error. :banghead:

I read through the entire thread on air bag light issues. But can anyone with first hand experience tell me with certainty, specifically on a US distribution 2012 Passat, what tools I can buy to turn this light off? I bought a Vgate VS450, it will not turn it off as advertised (unless someone can tell me the trick). I read the VCDS write up, and don't know with certainty if the free/shareware edition will do it. Just want it taken care of without being robbed at the stealership.

Heck, is there a member in the Raleigh/Durham area of NC that can do it for me for $20 bucks? or maybe you'd prefer some of your favorite German beer?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have an airbag light that I will be dealing with soon I am going to get a Ross tech. I spoke to their support and they said it will do it. I will be getting the enthusiast version. With 3 vin unlocks. I will post after. I plan on buying and S6 before too long and figure why not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, definitive answer! I have a 2012 Passat S 2.5 (NAR/NMS, Tennessee built) with a SRS error (caused by yours truly!)

Original question: Does anyone know with certainty which OBD tools will reliably clear this error on a 2012 Passat S NAR?

Verified answer: The Vgate VS450 I bought for $40 on eBay claimed it would do the job, but would not! I bought an Innova 3160G OBD II Scan tool for $219 at AutoZone in NC. It WILL read & clear SRS errors on the 2012 North American release Passat S 2.5 (I5) and everything else I have tried so far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here's my experience with my 2002 B5.5 V6 Passat wagon. I purchased the car with an airbag warning light. CarFax told me that there was an accident at 2,000 miles. The car now has 120,000 miles and drives very well. My independent German Car mechanic read the codes and says that we need to purchase a new airbag module for $750 list. He's hesitant to use anything used or reset for liability purposes. I shopped and see that this part is widely available online for around $450. Researched and found an outfit in Georgia that will reset the module for $50 guaranteed. So I had the mechanic pull apart the console and remove the unit telling him that if I die in a collision, I promise not to hold him responsible. I sent it off and then it was reprogrammed. I plugged it in and the light still came on. I then read all I could on Passat World (thanks, guys) purchased just a cable for $12 on eBay and downloaded the free PC software. Software says that the error code can't be reset. So I'm now planning on spending the $450 to purchase a new part. Last effort was to research by part number (software gives me the actual part number for my model car) and I find a parts seller on eBay that has pulled modules from parts cars for $15. At this point, I figure I'll throw another $15 at the problem and see. Used module come in and I attach the cable. I've been driving around with no console for the past 4 weeks. Guess what: no light! And no light for the past 3,000 miles. That's just my story. As they say in the ads, your mileage may be different.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts