Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my wife’s 2012 VW Passat we’ve noticed a wobble coming from what seems to be the front passenger side wheel. I’ve checked the wheel bearings,CV joints, axles, and boots. Everything seems and looks good. She says that it’s only on acceleration that she feels the car wobble/shimmy between 20-50mph. Also around 40-60 there is a whirring sound. Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On my wife’s 2012 VW Passat we’ve noticed a wobble coming from what seems to be the front passenger side wheel. I’ve checked the wheel bearings,CV joints, axles, and boots. Everything seems and looks good. She says that it’s only on acceleration that she feels the car wobble/shimmy between 20-50mph. Also around 40-60 there is a whirring sound. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Have you checked the wheel balancing? A wheel weight could have fallen off causing this, also check that the alloy isn’t buckled and also your tyre shape is nice and round. Sometimes tyres going out of shape can cause whirring noises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suggested that we take the car in to have the tires balanced and rotated but she swears that we just did that. That was actually my first guess as to what the problem was. Sorry I forgot to mention it in the original post

·
Registered
4 Posts
I suggested that we take the car in to have the tires balanced and rotated but she swears that we just did that. That was actually my first guess as to what the problem was. Sorry I forgot to mention it in the original post
It might have been incorrectly balanced. It can happen from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. Thank you I’ll probably get her to take it to another shop to get them to check it

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also went thru a similar front end problem. Looked into everything imaginable but accepted the recent balancing as good. It wasn't and second shop rebalancing corrected shimmy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts