Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I like the concept. from the article, it mentions that Porsche intends to also cut weight & the base price (although by specifically how much, that isn't mentioned). Power is around 200hp, but that shouldn't be such a restraint considering how easily tweakable turbos are. I'm also glad Porsche is retaining a boxer 4, instead of say throwing in the VW 2.0fsi.

I'd like to think of it as a more minimalist Porsche. However a good concept means little if the actual execution is a disappointing (i.e. only slightly cheaper than the regular boxter, but with a lot of the amenities cut, like the 128 vs 135). Will be interesting to see if this proves itself. I have no doubt the chassis and suspension should be well sorted out (hard to argue with even less weight than the current, very well balanced boxter). I think the most important thing to consider is how well the new turbo motor will make power & how reliably it does that. this could be the best deal Porsche has to offer.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
I like it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
General thought right now is that this would be a new entry level addition to the line, not a Boxster replacement.

Going to 4 clyinders in the Boxster doesn't make sense for a host of reasons:
* They just made the move to DI.
* The current base model is 255hp - are they really going to drop 55hp?!
* The curb weight is 2900 lbs right now. How much weight can they really drop?
* A 4-clyinder turbo basically gives them a base model Audi TT. Are they really going to do that?

A four cylinder Boxster, even if turbo charged, would be a step in the wrong direction. It'd have to be very special in order for me to even consider it. I won't hold my breath.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
General thought right now is that this would be a new entry level addition to the line, not a Boxster replacement.

* The current base model is 255hp - are they really going to drop 55hp?!
* The curb weight is 2900 lbs right now. How much weight can they really drop?
* A 4-clyinder turbo basically gives them a base model Audi TT. Are they really going to do that?
From the article

"Plus, the Boxster S should still offer a 6-cylinder."

Seems like the flat 4 will be replacing the existing 6 on the base model, at least according to speculation. It also didn't say output would be specifically 200, but somewhere above it. It also mentions that performance will be similar to the outgoing model. article is pretty vague and speculative to draw any concrete conclusions from imo. I'd seriously wait to see if it proves itself before dismissing it entirely.

likewise with the weight, its not implausible to lower it even further if it means changing the materials. besides, it's also vague. technically lowering the weight by even 5 lbs, is a weight reduction. I don't see how that could be bad though. at least they didn't make it heavier.

The base Cayenne is more or less a Touregg. Even if Porsche went as far to make a TT clone (which I doubt), that wouldn't be anything new. If the next TT happens to mid-engined & rwd, that's not something I'm aware of.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
From the article

"Plus, the Boxster S should still offer a 6-cylinder."

Seems like the flat 4 will be replacing the existing 6 on the base model, at least according to speculation. It also didn't say output would be specifically 200, but somewhere above it. It also mentions that performance will be similar to the outgoing model. article is pretty vague and speculative to draw any concrete conclusions from imo. I'd seriously wait to see if it proves itself before dismissing it entirely.

likewise with the weight, its not implausible to lower it even further if it means changing the materials. besides, it's also vague. technically lowering the weight by even 5 lbs, is a weight reduction. I don't see how that could be bad though. at least they didn't make it heavier.

The base Cayenne is more or less a Touregg. Even if Porsche went as far to make a TT clone (which I doubt), that wouldn't be anything new. If the next TT happens to mid-engined & rwd, that's not something I'm aware of.
Lots of speculation. We'll see. As an owner, such a move doesn't make much sense to me and others I talk with (not that these things have stopped Porsche in the past). Are they willing to drop the price significantly as well? If Porsche moves ahead with a flat-4, I see it in an all new model more than I do the Boxster.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Lotus has done wonders with their 4-cylinder and V6 engines in their Elan Esprit, and Elan, and Acura's potent V6 in their NSX could run with the V8s, so I have no problem with Porsche using a 4-cylinder as long as it is as smooth and refined and produces similar performance as in a 6. Keeping it lightweight is also essential too.

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
Lotus has done wonders with their 4-cylinder and V6 engines in their Elan Esprit, and Elan, and Acura's potent V6 in their NSX could run with the V8s, so I have no problem with Porsche using a 4-cylinder as long as it is as smooth and refined and produces similar performance as in a 6. Keeping it lightweight is also essential too.
X2. Don't see the problem here. A lighter car with similar or better performance, better handling, better braking etc. I would love to see Porsche have something to compete with the Elan.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
X2. Don't see the problem here. A lighter car with similar or better performance, better handling, better braking etc. I would love to see Porsche have something to compete with the Elan.
The issue is that those cars began as 4 cylinder turbos. The Boxster did not.

Like you, I'd love to see Porsche build an Elise killer. They have a history of building fast 4-cyl turbos with the 944-series, so I'm not opposed to that necessarily. However, should they move forwards with such a concept, it should be a new model.

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
The issue is that those cars began as 4 cylinder turbos. The Boxster did not.

Like you, I'd love to see Porsche build an Elise killer. They have a history of building fast 4-cyl turbos with the 944-series, so I'm not opposed to that necessarily. However, should they move forwards with such a concept, it should be a new model.
and kill the Boxster? I don't think there is room for both in this market. Hey...how about a Spyder! That would be badass! 1900 lbs or less and a 250HP HO4!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Lots of speculation. We'll see. As an owner, such a move doesn't make much sense to me and others I talk with (not that these things have stopped Porsche in the past). Are they willing to drop the price significantly as well? If Porsche moves ahead with a flat-4, I see it in an all new model more than I do the Boxster.
agreed that most of it is speculation. even the source/article is built on speculation and vague details, but its fun to discuss how such a different move from Porsche will ultimately work out. With the price drop, I'm more inclined to think they're making these changes to save costs for themselves instead of the consumer. maybe customers will get better mpg.

this move seems understandable if its for the sake of complying with the cafe regulations, but perhaps a TDi would have been a better solution for that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts