Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like Hyundai has jumped on the 4-door coupe bandwagon.
I really like the design so far, far more interesting than the Genesis sedan.

These are the first spy shots of the new Hyundai Sonata, which will go on sale in late 2010 and which company insiders believe will have sufficient 'wow factor' to sell on its looks as well as dynamic merits.

The interior photo shows a dramatically new, modern design direction, while the exterior is also different compared with Hyundai's current look.

"We expect the car to be close to or class-leading in every department such as emissions, handling, ride and so on, but what really marks it out is that it will sell on its looks as well as all its other attributes," said a Hyundai insider.

·
Registered
675 Posts
1. I don't like the styling.
2. I have driven an '07 V6 Sonata to max, and it has absolutely NOTHING on the B5. Gas mileage sucks too.
3. Hyundai in general seems to implement a lot of features, so you think you are getting a deal, but there's absolutely no level of refinement to said features. And I know, it's been getting better, but I have driven new and almost new Hyundais, and they are all disappointing from the get-go. (Someone close was looking for a car and cheapness got them, I went with since I have somewhat of a clue, though not really)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
1. I don't like the styling.
2. I have driven an '07 V6 Sonata to max, and it has absolutely NOTHING on the B5. Gas mileage sucks too.3. Hyundai in general seems to implement a lot of features, so you think you are getting a deal, but there's absolutely no level of refinement to said features. And I know, it's been getting better, but I have driven new and almost new Hyundai's, and they are all disappointing from the get-go. (Someone close was looking for a car and cheapness got them, I went with since I have somewhat of a clue, though not really)
i strongly agree with that bolded statement

to be honest, when i first looked at the back end it looked a little "CCesque" to me.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Goodness, I expect this from Hyundai (up market cars) but I didn't expect them to move as fast as they are.

They are really riding this train of awesome reliability and spacious affordable cars with increasingly interesting designs. I'm really like this company now, can't wait to see where they are in the next couple of years. They clearly have a goal in sight.

Looks like Hyundai has jumped on the 4-door coupe bandwagon.
I really like the design so far, far more interesting than the Genesis sedan.

These are the first spy shots of the new Hyundai Sonata, which will go on sale in late 2010 and which company insiders believe will have sufficient 'wow factor' to sell on its looks as well as dynamic merits.

The interior photo shows a dramatically new, modern design direction, while the exterior is also different compared with Hyundai's current look.

"We expect the car to be close to or class-leading in every department such as emissions, handling, ride and so on, but what really marks it out is that it will sell on its looks as well as all its other attributes," said a Hyundai insider.

·
Rogue Assassin
2,977 Posts
They are inexpensive and have a great warranty. If you want a beater go for it.:thumbup:
A beater?!?!? Current Hyundais are competitive with anything in their respective segments. Are they designed to be sporty? No. But they are now easily on par with comparably priced and optioned Hondas, Toyotas, Mazdas and Nissans in every way, including quality of materials, fit & finish, & reliability.

From what I can see in those photos, the interior is better looking than any of its competitors, and the exterior is different enough to stand up to the usual suspects. They'll sell huge numbers of them to people who never would have considered a Hyundai previously.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
lol you bunch of Hyundai haters, I'm not a Hyundai fan but I'd give them credit of at least continually improving their lineup. couple of years back they were not even on our radars, just the fact that you guys are starting to discuss their cars says they are succeeding at getting noticed.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
I like what Hyundai has done the past couple years but cosemetically the exterior of this thing is horid. :puke:

·
Registered
27,572 Posts
Nothing against Hundai, but I hate stretched headlights. I drove a rental Sonata back in 95 and was impressed by the ride, handling and performance. Crash worthiness was always a concern, so I would never buy one.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Nothing against Hundai, but I hate stretched headlights. I drove a rental Sonata back in 95 and was impressed by the ride, handling and performance. Crash worthiness was always a concern, so I would never buy one.
1995 Sonata:

2008 Sonata:

Worlds apart. Per wikipedia, the latest Sonata's crash tests are pretty good, certainly on par with its peers. It's not really fair to judge a current model on an experience you had with a 15 year old predecessor.

Edited to add that I also hate the stretched headlight trend. Blech.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
i think most of us would agree gobluetwo, but for some reason we still prefer to have our wallets raided by our VWs
in Newman's words- we've all had some serious childhood issues. :lol:

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I would totally consider a Hyundai for a next purchase.
I really like what they are doing with their upper end cars.

Here's one Genesis I would love to own. Supercharged Tau V8.

...and the Equus may be coming too. S-Class/7-series competitor.

Very impressive Hyundai. :thumbup:

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,884 Posts
lol you bunch of Hyundai haters, I'm not a Hyundai fan but I'd give them credit of at least continually improving their lineup. couple of years back they were not even on our radars, just the fact that you guys are starting to discuss their cars says they are succeeding at getting noticed.
When you are at the bottom, the only direction you can go is... :lol:

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,884 Posts
I like what Hyundai has done the past couple years but cosemetically the exterior of this thing is horid. :puke:
I must live under a rock or something, because I don't recall any Hyundai I can ever recall as being even mediocre in the looks department.

Case in point

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Interior shot of Equus

Here is what the press has to say about the coming Hyundai Equus:

"In Korea, Equus is powered by a Lambda 3.8L V-6 (290-hp/264 lb-ft) and Tau 4.6L V-8 (375-hp/333 lb-ft) and features a handsome design. Its exterior is matched with many highly advanced creature comforts and safety options as well. There's even talk of a bigger 5.0L Tau V-8 coming to the model range for added performance." - Motor Trend

"In addition to the big mills, it'll get an 8 speed automatic transmission, Lane Departure Warning System, Vehicle Stability Management System and Pre-Safety Seatbelt System." -- Jalopnik

"The cabin where the Equus shows that it's truly meant to do battle against the likes of the Mercedes S-Class, Lexus LS and BMW 7 Series. All the toys are present: push-button start, a console-mounted control interface for the in-car systems, classy wood accents, upmarket switchgear, and even Grey Poupon snack trays for the rear passengers. Oh, those rear passengers get massaging back seats, as well. It's very impressive looking and it stinks of quality. If Hyundai ever decides to gamble and attack the next price segment up from the Genesis sedan, they clearly have the ammo to do so. The Equus is the real deal." - Autoblog

"In Korea the car starts at the equivalent of $96,000, and taking on the Benz S-Class in America is not what Hyundai has in mind. At least not yet. Hyundai hopes to get the price down to near $50,000 in the States, where it would give Genesis sedan owners a car to move up into." -- Edmunds

1 - 20 of 27 Posts