Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This issue became apparent last summer anytime I’d try to start my car on a day where my car had been sitting in the sun. Every time I insert my keyfob to start the engine, nothing happens and the message I see on the dash is “Immobilizer Active”. Sometimes I even get a “steering wheel clock defective” message with a loud malfunction beep.

The only way I’m able to start my car is to sit there for several mins (sometimes 30+ mins) and let my car cool down by opening doors. Otherwise I have to come back and try to start my car when the sun goes down. In essence I can only start my car in the early mornings or in the evening.

Has this happened to anyone else/anyone recommend a specific solution?

Even on sunny days when I do get my car to start and get to my destination, when I return to my car I have to deal with the same issue. I can barely do quick errands unless I want to leave my car running the entire time.

This is an insanely frustrating issue to have considering it effectively renders my car un-drivable. I’ve had a ton of issues with my Passat B6 since buying it in 2015, but this one takes the cake. This isn’t an issue during the fall/winter/spring months when it’s not hot ouside, so that’s how I’m sure it’s linked to how hot the car is.

Last summer I took my car to a VW dealership for an unrelated repair and this issue was found there when they tried to start my car to give it back. At the time they said I probably needed a new key fob and they under the table recommended I get it done at locksmith vs VW.

I tried that, and I guess because of the way the Passat B6 keyfob is set up, 2 locksmiths weren’t savvy enough to reprogram a new one. After that ordeal, if I do get a new key I’ll just go ahead and get it done at VW.

I did my research and some say replace the whole steering wheel column vs the steering wheel column lock. I only want to do one or the other as they’re both costly, so which would anyone recommend?

·
Registered
2007, Passat Wagon 3.6 4Motion, Lux 2
68 Posts
It is a micro switch issue very prone to heat.....One Youtuber showing what to do....https://youtu.be/3Jij9mdXyTI Good Luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts