Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2010 Passat which I bought in 2012 (certified from the VW Dealer) and now has 97,xxx miles on it needs a new engine. It has been a great car and I've had zero problems up until now.

My son has been driving it this summer but I was driving it a few days ago and while leaving the mall it wouldn't start. Was able to get it started (if you can call it that with at jump) but it was violently shaking so I turned it off and called a tow truck. The mechanic (not a dealer mechanic) said there were engine oil pressure errors and basically the engine is shot. My son said he would get oil pressure warnings going around clover leafs but would add oil at times to it. The spot where he parks it in at his apt has evidence of lots of oil leaking from it so I don't discount what the mechanic is saying.

The mechanic quoted me $8,300 for a brand new engine and $7,600 for a used engine. Since the car has some minor front end damage from hitting a raccoon on the highway I'm not sure it is worth it. The mechanic said he could give me about $1000 for the car for parts.

Hoping someone has some advice for me, or if the numbers (for engine replacement options or parting it out) seem right.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
TBH, I'd have a look at other sources of used engines in your area.

Whether to keep/sell what's essentially a ~7 yr old car is a tough call. I'd be leaning towards selling it unless the interior and exterior were in near-mint condition and the engine is a low-maintenance design (it isn't IMHO).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Call around to auto part recyclers (LKQ and others) and see what the cost is. The prices you received should be for an engine with a warranty. you can usually buy warranties from the recycler for 12, 24, 26 months (usually). That warranty can add a significant cost to the engine. Also check the warranty to see what it covers. Some cover the cost of the engine to replace it if something goes wrong. Some will also cover the labor required to swap a failed used engine. You want a warranty that covers both. Otherwise, you may pay for the swap twice.

Run a search on Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market for available engines with mileage. Around Houston there were $3,200 - $3,500 with mileage 80k and up. Adding another $4k on top of the for installation for you, doesn't sound right. But, you have to get more info to compare. Just speculating, but maybe $1,500 for swapping and maybe $600-$900 for a warranty.

Get removal and installation quotes for labor only, then compare what they can get the engine for vs what you can get it for. I've spoken to at least 1 shop locally that would not install it unless they purchased it from the recycler.

It is usually cheaper to fix used cars, but you have to do some research when the cost is high like this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So, I am having this same problem with my 2009. My wife actually started it and didn't know the oil was leaking out and now it needs a new engine. I took it to brakes plus (Colorado) and they quoted me $6,357 and some change for a used engine swap.

I plan on doing it myself but my question is, does that seem like a fair price for an engine swap in a car that old? and also, since I plan on doing this myself/with some friends, what are some tips from anyone who has done this.

IE. any type of engine refresh kits I should by? what type of engine (from what ive looked up its the I4 DOHC 16V FSI turbo engine) I should look for? I know a little bit about these cars but im no master mechanic. any info helps.

I would appreciate feedback or a pm, or even a text from someone who knows what they're are talking about because I plan on doing this in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What did you end up doing?
I have similar car, more miles but I have sunk a lot of $$ in repair/replace. Now LOP alarm sounds and mechanic offers no help. New engine is down payment on new car.
The car is awesome though.

Side note: I just added some SEAFOAM to oil and car runs better and exhaust does not smell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.