Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am having this problem with my 2009 Passat Komfort 2.0T. My wife started it and didn't know the oil was leaking out and now it needs a new engine. I took it to a brakes plus (Colorado) and they quoted me $6,357 and some change for a used engine swap.

At that price and in my current situation I just plan on doing it myself but as more of a side-note, my question is, does that seem like a fair price for an engine swap in a car that old? Also, since I plan on doing this myself/with some friends, what are some tips from anyone who has done this?

IE. Any type of engine refresh kits I should by? what type of engine (from what I've looked up, it's the "I4 DOHC 16V FSI turbo" engine) I should look for? I know a little bit about these cars but im no master mechanic. any info helps. And the car is still at Brakes Plus and I'm waiting to get the VIN back from them because I don't know it by heart so I can get more info on engines to buy.

I would appreciate feedback or a pm, informative videos on DIY swaps, or even a text from someone who knows what they're are talking about because I plan on doing this in the next couple weeks.

**I did post this situation in another thread previously, because I wasn't aware that I was able to make my own threads. I did my research on posting in other threads before creating my own, but I also feel that this cuts out the middle man and I can get advice directly**

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
First thing you'll need to do is determine the engine code (CCTA or CBFA). Use this string below to google search for the first PDF document to decide which engine you'll need to look for.

ECS tuning 2.0 FSI/TSI engine guide PDF

Obviously, if you can hear the engine run before buying it, that would be preferential. Short of that, I'd want to see the odometer reading prior to the engine being pulled (if you can arrange to pull that off). Most places that have good engines already have them removed from the car and sitting on a shelf inside a warehouse. Ask whether you can pull the valve cover(s) off of any prospects to see whether the engine has had frequent oil changes (quite subjective unless things are obvious - a sludgy, varnishy valve train isn't something you want to discover after forking over ~$3.5K for a low-mile used engine)

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market might help with your search.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so I'm pretty sure it's CCTA and it's a VIN K model as well. Another question I have is will I need to strictly search for my model year or can I open it a bit? I'm still a little lost

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.