Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really considering trading my MyB5.5 over Sonata. I received this mail today stating that I am pre-approved to get new car to a trade even if I am still leasing with either high or already low rate. The Hyundai dealer is literally 2 blocks away from my apartment. I have been seeing good reviews for the Sonata and look isn't as bad vs previous stylings. Dont get me wrong still love my b5.5 it is just that it's out of my league to maintain. PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Cost of maintenance / repairs ..... Cost of higher car payment .....

That big of a difference? :icon_eek:

Edit: I can tell you, the Sonata probably won't be nearly as fun to drive as the B5.5. I've been behind the wheel of a quite a few cars and not many can beat the interior styling and ride performance of a B5/5.5 Passat.

My $0.27, because $0.02 just isn't enough these days.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok....true that!!!
B5 Passats do have unique interior styling. THats probably why I get alot of people freak out whenever I show them the interior because they classified Passat with the same level as Camry or Accord which i think is funny.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Exactly! My B5 is a 1999 and an old coworker was driving behind me and said "I thought that was you but I thought your car was older!"

I think the Passat is a very timeless car. Particularly the B5/5.5 chassis.

The exterior is classic yet clean. The interior is much nicer in comparison though. :p

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
??? They just updated it (minor). Now you can get all the bells and whistles even with the 4 cyl versions.

My father has an '06 4 cylinder. My impressions? It's a nice car, and I'd consider it for a good-sized family car. Drives well enough, off course it doesn't give you the 'feel' of the Passat (none of the Asian cars really do), about the same as a Camry and not quite as nice as an Accord. But it doesn't cost quite as much...

You have to watch it with Hyundai, though. Their fuel mileage claims are hit and miss. Most of their cars don't get the mileage they claim.

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
Hyundai has a great warranty that almost can't be touched. So you're looking at the difference in equity you've build in your car vs. a brand new car payment and whether or not YOU like it, regardless of cost. There are a ton of cars that would save me money, but that fact is I wouldn't really like it, and since I drive a LOT, I can't pull the trigger on an "eh" kind of car.

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,983 Posts
I received this mail today stating that I am pre-approved to get new car to a trade even if I am still leasing with either high or already low rate.
Are you serious? I get three of those a week. It's a marketing ploy; one that's been covered here a few times before. Let me ask you this - do you accept every new credit card offer that you get in the mail that says "YOU ARE PREAPPROVED FOR A NEW GOLD LIMITED PLATINUM SUPER DUPER CARD!!!"

If so, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

I think the Passat is a very timeless car. Particularly the B5/5.5 chassis.
Especially since Ford hired the B5 designer away from VW and they used the same damned design on the Ford Five Hundred. Everything old is new again.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you serious? I get three of those a week. It's a marketing ploy; one that's been covered here a few times before. Let me ask you this - do you accept every new credit card offer that you get in the mail that says "YOU ARE PREAPPROVED FOR A NEW GOLD LIMITED PLATINUM SUPER DUPER CARD!!!"

I get a lot of credit cards but not as much as pre-approved-car ones. Just turned tweenty one couple days ago, guess my credit score is getting better.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,142 Posts
Unless you've very recently filled out an application with that particular company, I think it's a pretty safe bet anything that says "pre-approved" is bull. If you go in and something in your report doesn't meet their standards, they'll backpedal pretty quickly.

As far as the car, there's no question I'd rather have a Passat than a Korean Honda wannabe. Will your monthly be less than the average of (non-maintenance) repairs on the VW?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts

I particularly like the ones where they tell you your local dealer is looking for used cars just like yours and now is the time to trade-in!

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
...and you've been "specially selected".....gotta love that. Makes me REALLY think they know me :crazy:

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
I just bought one from a prince in Nigeria. I can't wait to pick it up, along with my $20,000 refund from my overpayment. Lagos, here I come!

Love those email solicitations.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I get a lot of credit cards but not as much as pre-approved-car ones. Just turned tweenty one couple days ago, guess my credit score is getting better.
These offers have little to do with your credit score, and more to do with whether or not you have a pulse.

Hyundai's aren't as awful looking as they used to be, back when they used to paint the nameplate on the back, but I'd still pick a VW, even an old one, even with the high maintenance costs over a new car payment for a Honda knockoff.

When I turned 21 I bought a used Honda CRX for $4K. Damn kids, get off my lawn! :lol:

·
Registered
796 Posts
Hyundai is like number 2 build quality in the world, those things have come a long way. They have a new RWD coupe that looks like a BMW 335i coming out for 2009 with a 310hp V6 and it is dead sexy. If I could afford a new car I would probably buy one of those when it comes out, you can't beat the warranty like stated earlier.

·
Registered
316 Posts
There are way too many drawbacks when comparing it to the Passat. Besides not being fun to driver, if you are taller than 5'10" your knees WILL hit the dash. The seats rails don't nearly go back far enough for tall people. It leaves a lot of room in the back but none in the front. It's a bad design flaw for a car with so much wasted interior space. The Azera is better in that area.

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,983 Posts
Just turned tweenty one couple days ago, guess my credit score is getting better.
You're not equating age with credit score, are you? Experience, good use of credit and paying your bills on time are what build a credit score. None of those companies care how old you are.

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,983 Posts
I particularly like the ones where they tell you your local dealer is looking for used cars just like yours and now is the time to trade-in!
...and you've been "specially selected".....
Wait a minute ...:poke:

Your dealerships were also looking for your exact cars and you were both specially selected? DAMMIT! :banghead: I thought I was the only one.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts