Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver's seat has an electric switch to adjust the seat angle. The switch is not working and the seat angle is tilted too far forward to drive comfortably. I've read countless posts on different sites and have deduced it's likely either a fuse (which I cannot find) or the switch itself (which would not explain why there is no power going to the seat itself according to my test light).

A summary of the diagnoses I have carried out:

- Unplugged and tested all 3 electrical connections going to the seat with a test light. No power found in any of them, even with the car running. Test light definitely works.

- Checked every fuse throughout the following locations on the vehicle: under the bonnet, passenger side edge of dash, driver side edge of dash, driver side under dash. From what I've read, it appears the fuse of interest is likely on the driver side (either under or on the side of the dash, as pictured below).

All fuses that are there work however there appear to be fuses missing in some locations. I don't have a manual but from what I've read the manual doesn't list all fuses anyway so this is becoming a headache.

I guess my question is whether I've overlooked any other fuse locations or whether anyone knows the exact location of the fuse I need to check? I'm in Australia so driver side is the right side of the car if that makes a difference.

Also, I presume I'm checking if there's power going to the seat correctly (grounding test light then probing each of the 3 connectors pictured with car running) but please let me know if there is a better way in case it's actually the switch that is faulty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did some further digging and it appears the fuse that controls the driver's seat switch is this one:

2 people described this as the location in their posts (although their car was a different model VW) and a diagram I looked at seemed to reaffirm this (although the diagram did not look exactly the same as my layout). The fuse is fine, which now makes me think it's either a wiring issue or the switch itself.

Local VW dealer does not have the switch in stock so I might see if the wreckers will allow me to test their switch before buying. I really hope it's not a wiring issue, seems I would have to pull half the car apart if so.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
thanks for pics as confirms for me that over here in the states that the electrical layout is truly mirror image, one thing to check is the contacts on the 460 relays, (and I do not think actual relay panel is mirror image) one of the 460s is the engine and some critical circuits, the other relay is what VW calls a "load reduction relay" and if you check, provides power, not to windshield wiper (main relay ,ignition etc.) but to windshield washer pump and cigarette lighter port. Both those 460 relays run really really hot . So after running awhile you caan actually feel that they are work, however may want to open up and clean contacts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had a look at the 460 and a couple of other nearby relays. All of the contacts looked clean with no sign of corrosion.

I tried another switch but that did not work either. Not too surprising considering there was no power going to the switch... so if it's not the fuse or the switch then it must be wiring, right? I'm not looking forward to ripping carpet and trim apart, especially to find it's not the wiring either!

·
Registered
2007, Passat Wagon 3.6 4Motion, Lux 2
68 Posts
Have you checked your grounds? I hope these 2 screen shots help. All the power seat fuses should be breakers, not fuses....In May 2008 VW changed some of the wiring/fuse points....If you are not finding voltage at the relay then more then one relay board should be having issues also....Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haven't checked ground, but if this was the issue then my test light shouldn't show power through the fuse right? I'm not sure what you mean by "power seat fuses should be breakers, not fuses". The second diagram you uploaded says it is a 15A thermal fuse for the driver seat adjustment, which is consistent with the one I have the red arrow pointing to in my picture above...

I read on a few other posts that the "CCM" or "control module" could be suspect. Would that stop power getting to the seat? If so, is there more than one control module on the car? I don't want to buy the wrong part.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Please disregard circuit breaker comment... YES if power is present the ground should be OK, Unless you have a memory drivers seat, I can not find CCM causing an issue. Memory seat function works with the key when unlocking the car, etc....however the physical buttons should override the CCM anyway....I wish I could help more, in a wheelchair, so I can't troubleshoot actual circuits on my own car....Sometimes I would wire up a separate 12V wire and bring my own power to the motors, etc....somehow you may at least get the seat back where you can drive comfortably.....good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unless you have a memory drivers seat, I can not find CCM causing an issue.
It's not a memory seat. The back/forward and up/down adjustments are actually manual. It's only the recline/incline angle of the seat that has an electric switch.

Sometimes I would wire up a separate 12V wire and bring my own power to the motors, etc....somehow you may at least get the seat back where you can drive comfortably.....good luck!
Dude this is ingenious! Do you know if it's the big black plug, little black plug or little yellow plug (in my first photo) that sends power to the seat switch? Which colour wire is negative/positive?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Correct. Seat is now in a comfortable position and you are officially my hero. Honestly I was on the verge of selling the car. Will buy you a beer if I'm ever in Montana!

·
Registered
68 Posts
So happy mate all is well with your seat position. I guess you can completely touble shoot a fix when you are bored....ha, ha, ha.....I have added another continent where I was able to assist an issue on a VW, I helped someone in Romania and Italy last year! At least you and me speak a loose form of English? Please don't mind my humor.....Think of me when you go to Bondi and post Pictures! Cheers and Safe motoring!
???
Larry: [email protected]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts