Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have multiple parts that need replacing on my 2008 2L Turbo 4 Cyl FSI Automatic Passat with 185592 miles. I just had toe surgery so I will buying the parts and having a reliable/well reviewed mechanic in the Atlanta suburbs perform the labor for a reasonable hourly fee ($75-$85). Another reason this will not be a DIY repair is I don't have the tools or a lift.

My two questions are:

* Does this vehicle have a timing belt or a chain? One mechanic that I called yesterday seemed to think it had a chain but several online sources seem to indicate otherwise including this one VW Passat Timing Belt Replacement Technical Info 2.0T . If it does have a timing belt then I may pass on this mechanic. If it is a timing belt then it is well past time for it to be changed. From what I've read it is usually changed at 90K to 110K.

20200520_185121.jpg 20200520_185127.jpg

* Their is a coolant leak of about a cup every 30 minutes when running. It is dripping from the passenger side motor mount. See attached pics. When I described the leak to my dad over the phone he seemed to think it was from the water pump's weep hole. What is the opinion of the experts on this forum in regards to where the leak is? My initial research indicates that after so long the seals on the pump deteriorate. If the answer to the question above is that the vehicle has a timing belt then I will get the pump replaced regardless.

20200523_203133.jpg 20200523_203149.jpg 20200525_211329.jpg 20200525_211714.jpg

Other parts to be replaced and services completed are as followed: air conditioner compressor (quoted $340 for labor by the above mentioned mechanic), front grill, oil change (I buy the Liqui Moly), air filter, and brake pad inspection.

Thanks for your time in responding.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
FSI has a timing belt, you will need to replace that, when this is done you also put in new water pump ,idler and tensioner since they are all integral to each other, this times the crankshaft with the exhaust cam. Internally there is a chain that links the exhaust cam to the intake cam. This is of little or no concern as they rarely if ever fail and are just left alone. The timing belt is the main issue and the only one that requires maintenance. As to your coolant leak, there is a lot of "plumbing" going on in that area (coolant reservoir, coolant flange,water pump, hoses,thermostat,etc.), however the leak will probably be discovered/revealed once disassembly occurs for the timing belt as things are cleared out of way to do timing belt service.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FSI belt, TSI Chain, I believe.....good luck!
@b6montana , thanks. I may have earlier read something similar to what you just confirmed. I'll confirm that is an FSI with the mechanic over the phone in the morning. If he still insists that it is a chain then I'll go elsewhere. No use in risking it with someone unfamiliar with the vehicle specifics. I have two other mechanics in the area that I have to get labor quotes on anyways.

·
Registered
2007, Passat Wagon 3.6 4Motion, Lux 2
68 Posts
If you know your engine code you can verify it online, too.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FSI has a timing belt, you will need to replace that, when this is done you also put in new water pump ,idler and tensioner since they are all integral to each other, this times the crankshaft with the exhaust cam. Internally there is a chain that links the exhaust cam to the intake cam. This is of little or no concern as they rarely if ever fail and are just left alone. The timing belt is the main issue and the only one that requires maintenance. As to your coolant leak, there is a lot of "plumbing" going on in that area (coolant reservoir, coolant flange,water pump, hoses,thermostat,etc.), however the leak will probably be discovered/revealed once disassembly occurs for the timing belt as things are cleared out of way to do timing belt service.
@cchief22 , the mechanic that I spoke with yesterday called back this morning and again tried to say that both the FSI and the TSI models had chains and no engine timing belt. Another mechanic from Castro Premium Lube Express asked for the VIN # and will return my call.

My search on Amazon.com for replacement parts leads me to believe that the rubber engine timing belt also turns the water pump. It can be sold as different hierarchical kits each increasing in price.

* timing belt sold separately
Beck_Arnley_026-1074_Timing_Belt.JPG
* water pump sold separately
"not pictured"
* kit with timing belt, belt Ider, and tensioner
ContiTech_TB334K1_Timing_Belt_Tensioner_Kit.JPG
* kit with timing belt, belt idler, tensioner, and water pump
ContiTech_PP334LK1_Pro_Series_Plus_Kit.JPG
* kit with timing belt, belt idler, water pump, tensioner, and metal impeller
Mac_Auto_Parts_157995_New_Water_Pump_&_Engine_Belt_Compo_Kit.JPG
* kit with timing belt, belt idler, water pump, tensioner, metal impeller, and oil seals
CRP_Industries_PP334LK1-MI-Timing_Belt_Kit.JPG

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think I need the oil seals and the metal impeller. I am thinking that I should probably buy the kit with the timing belt, belt idler, tensioner, and the water pump.

Brand names include CRP Industries, Contitech, Gates, Mac Auto, and Beck Arnleya at Amazon. CarQuest, Hepu, and Contitech at Advance Auto Parts. Auto Zone has the Duralast/Dayco brands. Any recommendation on brands?

Thanks again for your time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@b6montana , the blauparts link may have been the same link that I posted earlier in the thread. However, page 4 of the ECS document was very helpful. I saw this document several years back but had forgotten about it. My engine code is FSI/BPY - so it does have a timing belt. As I stated in an earlier post, I think the timing belt also links to the water pump.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had some from engine Porsches 944:1988, 1989, 968:1992 I always put a water pump in while doing belt and Idles, etc you are in there anyway, be in there once and be done, no worries until mileage for next belt change, lol....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sorry, you are killing me with the Lube Shop Knowledge Techs, some know some don't....best to be sure.....however, I would be leery when some says no belts, or no chains.....I always double check and a parts list for the specific engine is a good start....Cheers!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Brand names include CRP Industries, Contitech, Gates, Mac Auto, and Beck Arnleya at Amazon. CarQuest, Hepu, and Contitech at Advance Auto Parts. Auto Zone has the Duralast/Dayco brands. Any recommendation on brands?
I am making an addendum to my own post: One mechanic said to stay away from Duralast and CarQuest. He also said that Contitech is a well known timing belt manufacture.

·
Registered
2008 Passats(2) 2.0 KOMFORT
14 Posts
How do they know the belt broke and not the chain on the drivers side that the fuel pump runs off of?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here is a YOUTUBE series showing the diagnosis of the belt vs chain issue on a B6 Passat and instructions to fix it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
How do they know the belt broke and not the chain on the drivers side that the fuel pump runs off of?
@Black08 , neither belt is broken. The car currently starts and is driveable. No sounds are originating from the engine. My research indicates that a drive chain on this vehicle rarely breaks. In the rare event that the chain breaks you have major issues. The engine/water pump belt is being changed for long overdue maintenance. However, the pump may very well also be leaking so I decided to just get a water pump kit that includes the belt. It is actually a good idea to replace both in this particular case regardless. The belt in this specific engine drives the water pump and the cam shaft simultaneously.

The video that you posted from Astral Auto Repair was informative. It shows how to view the engine/water pump belt by loosening one screw. One small critique however, I would have definitely would have unscrewed the front air tube @ 3:31 by unscrewing the air tube harness further toward the front rather than pull it out. A mechanic previously cracked the front air tube harness on my car removing it that way. I recommend the HumbleMechanic's videos, but this one is helpful in that it goes through the diagnostics.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Glad you watched at least some of his video. My black 08 has broken a belt or chain and this video gave me an idea of what I’m up against. The German automaker made sure their cars were not backyard mechanic friendly. Sorry but I did not realize your car was still running and you were only doing belt/chain/water pump maintenance. Hope all goes well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I thought that the FSI 2.0T is similar to the Passat 1.8T engine. There is a chain to synchronize both camshafts and a rubber-type belt that synchronizes the camshafts to the crankshaft. On the FSI engines there is also that High Pressure Fuel Pump that is driven by the camshaft via a lifter. That lifter might be a weak link and should be checked or changed periodically. Of course always use the correct oil in that engine.
I purchased a 2006 Passat with a FSI engine that had a broken HPFP, lifter and chain AND 210K miles. I was lucky that the valves were not damaged and the engine ran well after replacing the chain, pump and lifter. The rubber belt was in excellent condition and I got rid of that car after I corrected other interesting but minor issues with it. I did not like that car!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts