Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Passat 103 Tdi and have been considering replacing it but the wife and I like it so much that it is likely we will replace it with another Passat. I would consider keeping it though if I could solve an issue that has been intermittent for the past three years which I have detailed in another thread. :banghead:

Since we bought the car we have been facing an increasing number of issues including dual mass flywheel, lift pump, a/c compressor and an intermittent jerkiness for the past three years. The 15 month old a/c compressor has just failed again and while parked outside the garage awaiting inspection someone swiped it doing a u-turn and drove off. Luckily someone saw and got the plate. I don’t know whether that’s a sign we should keep or sell the car as we were already looking at our options. :)

We have tried a few cars but the only thing we can agree on is we love the Passat. So, we are thinking of replacing it with another. We bought ours in 2013 and it was well looked after with 65,000 km on the clock for around $18k. There are a couple of options nearby:

2011 Passat 125 Tdi Highline which has covered 61,000 km at $16.5k
Or
2014 Passat 130 Tdi Highline which has covered 67,000 km at $23.5k

We’ve inspected and had a short test drive of the 2011 model and it is in excellent condition as far as I can see (The garage offered us $3k as trade-in although should get at least $7-8k private). Should we be concerned about it’s age and the possibility of large bills that we have been facing in the last 4 ½ years of owning our current car? Or would you spend more money on the newer car?

·
Registered
285 Posts
My suggestion would be to buy as new as possible, remember even a 2015 technically is a 3 year old car by now.
Don't know what you guys are doing down under, but in North America people are turning in all kinds of TDI's because of the lure of a buy back buy out. Some are 2015's even and some good deals to be had. I don't expect to see VW to bring out anymore TDI's over here in my lifetime, so my 2015 will be it until either I drop dead or the car does!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts