Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

my brother in Law is in a bit of a pickle, he's had EPB light on occassionally and sometimes the EPB would not engage.

Fast forward to today, he heard grinding from the rear brakes and decided to install the EPB switch that he had in the car for a few weeks, no difference, so he disconnected the battery to try a reset, Now the car will not start ??? any Ideas ?

does the ECU need resetting ? EBP motor F$£%^Ed ?

· Registered
226 Posts
When did he hear grinding--while driving without braking? While braking? While in reverse?

How much of the reset procedure did he try?

Has he had the battery tested? It may be that all the problems he's had from the occasional EPB light up to the no start are caused by a dying battery.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When did he hear grinding--while driving without braking? While braking? While in reverse?

How much of the reset procedure did he try?

Has he had the battery tested? It may be that all the problems he's had from the occasional EPB light up to the no start are caused by a dying battery.
Hi jddaigle,
sorry don't have too much info. , my wife has been relaying the info to me from her brother, not sure about when the grinding is happening, I presumed when he was driving it.. I'l try to find out.
He disconnected the battery to try to reset the park brake, the car was starting fine before that, I'll have to try and talk to him myself and get some info of him, thanks for your help :)

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I got more Info., there is grinding when he sets the park brake ..sounds like the l/H side..so my guess is it's the PB Motor !

He got loads of lights up on the Dash after he did the reset and It will not start, he connected his wife's car battery to his using Jumper leads and it didn't help ??

· Registered
32 Posts
Hey there My Passat is Same Year... I live in Canada wehre its extremely Cold and i remember that I had something similar I wouldn't disengage it froze up but I let the car kinda roll without stalling then tried again it disengaged but the light stayed on for the time the car was running after restart it was gone only had it 2-3 times.... About the grinding I think that is the normal sound of the motor since it is a electrical-mechanical Parking brake. That's my experience with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.