Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Passat 103 Tdi with 6-speed DSG and have been considering replacing it but the wife and I like it so much that it is likely we will replace it with another Passat. I would consider keeping it though if I could solve an issue that has been intermittent for the past three years.
It has been to the garage a number of times to try and diagnose the issue but due to how intermittent the problem is and lack of any error codes they have been unable to categorically suggest a solution.

I would describe the issue as a sharp fluctuation in power whilst driving. It only happens in the first couple of km’s and only from cold. It may occur every day for a week and then not for another month. Typically, I would drive out of my street, down a hill accelerating to 60km/h and then as the road levels out be feathering the throttle to maintain the speed limit. At this point the revs would jump about and the car would feel jerky. Usually it is so quick that it is difficult to see the fluctuation on the rev counter and you could question if the passenger felt it. Lately, it has been more severe at times. If I increase the throttle pressure it picks up speed no problems and only seems to be when under light pressure. I have also noticed it whilst using cruise control, but it is less pronounced. The fuel consumption is good.

It has had the Piezo pump injector element recall 23H9 where it appears the Pump was replaced at 61,000 km before we purchased the car. Since then we have had a new dual mass flywheel, crank angle sensor, throttle body/inlet manifold clean, air mass meter clean, injector wiring loom, fuel filter, lift pump, a/c compressor, diesel intake and EGR service. Following the air mass meter clean the problem seemed to disappear for a while but not sure if that was just coincidence. The car has now covered 140,000 km.

Is there a suggestion to what the cause may be for the intermittent jerkiness and what would you expect the cost to be? It’s going to be going back to the garage soon as the A/C compressor has failed again after 15 months so may get them to start changing some other parts if not too costly.

TIA

·
Registered
2007 B6 Passat 2.0T, 1994 E36 M3 3.0L, 2004 Silverado Z71 5.3L
113 Posts
There are a number of possibilities I could list but I would start by replacing the MAF altogether not just cleaning it. A faulty MAF can easily contribute to the conditions you've described. It's a cheap enough part. Just make sure you get an OEM part, don't cheap out on a part like.

You could also benefit by finding someone local with a VCDS cable/software or by getting your own so that you can perform some data logging which is always very useful in narrowing down these kinds of issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.