Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked the refrigerant, but it's ok.

I start the car and after running and blowing cold air for a while, the cold air stops. Air still flows, but it's not cold. Then after another 15-20 minutes, it's starts blowing cold air again. Any leads will be greatly appreciate it.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
389 Posts
Has the compressor been replaced and the system been flushed? if not, i am guessing your compressor is starting to fail

There are other things that can happen, but that is the most common

·
Registered
400 Posts
There is a sensor attached to the evaporator. This sensor cycles the compressor when the coil gets too cold. A defective sensor will allow the coil to freeze.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've been having a similar problem since having the compressor replaced under warranty. The dealer has been unable to duplicate the problem when I've taken it in for service.

Mine will blow cold air for about 30min, but then slowly the air will stop blowing as fast (not really sure if it's just as cold) and almost stops circulating air at all. If I shut it off for awhile and turn it back on it will work normally for about another 15-30min then does the same.

I'd be really interested to hear what you eventually find since I've had them looking at it for almost a year.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have recently begun having the same problems with my 2007 (56K mi). Short trips are fine but long trips result in lowered air flow and warmer temps I think too but hard to say since the airflow is so weak. Turning off the AC but leaving the fan on actually brought in cool air for a few min, then I could turn the AC back on. I did this routine for a 5 hr ride, fun. Once the sun went down and the outside temp dropped from 90 F to 78 F, it seemed to run better ;-). I have also had trouble with the regular vent air. If I turned the temp controller knob up not even a quarter turn from cold, it would get hot.

I may ask the dealer about it at the next tuneup, but I ran into AC trouble with my 2002 that could not be fixed. Since I needed a timing belt soon and brake work, and they were offering a great trade in deal, I gave them the 2002 for the 2007. Both cars have had ignition coil failures. Hoping to stay with VW...thoughts on the AC issues would be great.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have noticed that this only happens on my car when I run the AC with recirculation on. When it happens, I turn the recirculation off and after a few seconds I get cold air again. I think that this is what causes the coil to get too cold maybe? Not sure if that is just how it is or if it actually a defect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have not seen an issue when using the recirculation option--the air actually comes out a little stronger with this button on. After driving for 30 min to an hour and I see the problem that jgr_28 sees, toggling this button on/off doesn't seem to help. Turning off the AC at this point boosts the airflow again and I even get some colder air for awhile. Once it gets warm, I can turn the AC on again for awhile.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Zulujams, there was a recall on the ignition coils. The dealer replaced them for free in my 06, last year, and gave me a free rental car. I hope you didn't pay for that.

jgr, I just posted how to replace the sensor that galvanizedyankee mentioned in turtle's "air conditioner opinion needed" post. It sounds like you're having the same issue that I was having. I'm guessing we're all just noticing this problem within the last week because of the crazy heat this summer (it's reached 100 degrees a number of days in the last 10 days where I live).

·
Registered
9 Posts
My '02 definitely had a recall after the coil failure, and I was refunded the rental car fee for that one. The '07 didn't have a recall but it was covered under warranty and I may have waited for it to be fixed. Sadly, the replacement coil failed within weeks but that was replaced under warranty also.

I won't need to replace my AC sensor...the next owner may want to though. Traded in the VW for a 2010 S4. I have enjoyed my VWs but didn't like the way the Passat was going for 2012 and likely beyond. At least I stayed in the greater VW family ;-)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been having a similar problem since having the compressor replaced under warranty. The dealer has been unable to duplicate the problem when I've taken it in for service.

Mine will blow cold air for about 30min, but then slowly the air will stop blowing as fast (not really sure if it's just as cold) and almost stops circulating air at all. If I shut it off for awhile and turn it back on it will work normally for about another 15-30min then does the same.

I'd be really interested to hear what you eventually find since I've had them looking at it for almost a year.
I have the same issue on mine. It started after they changed the compressor. It always works when I start the car but after 20 minutes or so the air stops flowing but the fan motor is working. I can hear how the fan motor goes from not being heard to sound a lot. Like there is something blocking the air from going any further (under the glovebox). I read somewhere that it could be that they added to much gas into the system so it freezes after 20 min or so. Any ideas? I have told the technicians this started after the compressor change but they just "well something else broke then" and I will most likely need to pay for it. My feeling is they made some error though..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts