Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Passat 2.0t
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the VW world. I picked up the car with no start issue pretty and planned one on the kiddos driving. After tearing into the engine to see what the problem was, I found that the cam lobe was pretty worn, HPFP tappet almost worn through, and cam journals on head were terrible.

To fix the vehicle I replaced everything I saw that was bad. Sourced a good used head and had it checked. Put on new timing belt, tensioner, water pump, HPFP, cam follower, vacuum pump, cam chain and tensioner, cam adjuster valve, fuses, and any seals/gaskets that needed replacing. Now with everything perfect I still have crank no start issue.

I don't have vag-com but going to order obdeleven. Here are the results of my obd2 scan:

Any info or direction to head in to resolve this is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2008 Passats(2) 2.0 KOMFORT
14 Posts
Is the timing correct? Both fuel pumps working? I have two 2008’s. One needs all you just did and second one is in limp mode, codes, no radio or power seat, etc. Driving me nutts. Cost more to fix than they are worth.

·
Registered
2006 Passat 2.0t
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I verified the timing a few times and spent engine over manually. I can hear fuel pump come on and I can smell fuel in engine area. I pulled a coil and spark tester to find no spark. I just don't know if it's going to be something in security blocking it from time sitting before my purchase, wiring, control module or maybe even aftermarket radio installed.

·
Registered
2006 Passat 2.0t
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So did some more checking of the wiring and fuses due to trouble codes found. So far each fuse block including one under the hood have all fuses required and in correct locations. However the relays in under hood fuse box aren't powering all the fuses unless relays are jumped. R4 has to be jumped to get power on fuses f6-f15. R3 has to be jumped for f32, 33,44-46 to have power.

Even with relays jump car still cranks but no start. Since still no start I pulled down each interior fuse panel checking for corrosion and loose connections, but found nothing. I also pulled out CCM and Central Electronics Module, no corrosion or loose connection. Used test light to check those modules and they seem to be fine.

Now hearing this information, can anyone point me in the right direction for the next steps to take? I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
just as a point of reference (disregarding taxi and emergency vehicles) there are four fuse/relay areas; under the hood next to battery, on either side of the dash/console, and to the left of the driver's knee (U.S.) behind the little storage compartment. You access it by opening, bending plastic "stop" tang out of way ,dropping it further to disengage.....If you have not looked there bottom two #460s (far left.far right) are essential for car to run.

·
Registered
2006 Passat 2.0t
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Swapped those around and no change. Tested with battery and multimeter, they bench test fine. But I did read on the b6 forum somewhere that they could sometimes test fine and still be bad. If this is possible problem will have to order.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
did you open them up ? If not, do so and clean contacts,not at all saying that this is the problem ,just will at least eliminate them from the equation.....

·
Registered
2006 Passat 2.0t
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did open them up, but saw no corrosion or broken solder joints. I've got to do some more test, but starting to wonder if it's the actual under hood fuse box.

·
Registered
2006 Passat 2.0t
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wish I had, but I haven't. If weather permits I may get to work on it in the next couple days. My issue is that it wasn't running when I purchased it and trying to fix any wrongs I see.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the response.......Well let me ask you this.....

Did you set the timing on the head or did the person that you purchased from set it ? Because the lobes of the intake and exhaust are offset from one another. When you put in the head bolts after putting the timing belt on you actually have to adjust the cams such that the grooves line up and allow you to drop the bolts in the holes. This would indicate that it is time. They have this tool ( made by VW ) to lock the cams down but it doesn’t set the timing correctly and is EXTREMELY misleading.

If this doesn’t sound like something you did when you installed ( if you did the installation ) then I am sure that you have a timing issue.

Is it possible this is problem ?

I did open them up, but saw no corrosion or broken solder joints. I've got to do some more test, but starting to wonder if it's the actual under hood fuse box.

·
Registered
2006 Passat 2.0t
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was the one who set the timing. I did purchase the genuine locking tool. I did see there was play even with locking tool in. So I made sure to use a bright paint marker to easily see timing marks in each location. For the chain side I followed several videos found on YouTube.

But I don't think timing is my issue. I think it's the fact it was sitting unresponsive for so long and there is something blocking communication. I mean everything works and leads me to believe control modules are working, but can't communicate with ecm. I saw posts about waking up control modules with newer vehicles but not this one. Anyone have any knowledge of this for b6 Passat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was the one who set the timing. I did purchase the genuine locking tool. I did see there was play even with locking tool in. So I made sure to use a bright paint marker to easily see timing marks in each location. For the chain side I followed several videos found on YouTube.

But I don't think timing is my issue. I think it's the fact it was sitting unresponsive for so long and there is something blocking communication. I mean everything works and leads me to believe control modules are working, but can't communicate with ecm. I saw posts about waking up control modules with newer vehicles but not this one. Anyone have any knowledge of this for b6 Passat.
ok I solved my problem ...... My timing was off 360 degrees it was and was letting the gas out on the exhaust stroke

I hope that helps

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Vabordea,

So as I mentioned my timing issue was the reason it wouldn’t start. I thought that rotating it 360 degrees changed the timing and the stroke but that would have been 180 degrees for that to have happened.

What I did do was change the timing enough so it would start and unfortunately the timing was off enough to bend valves so I have to redo it.

What videos did you use to set the intake cam ? I know that you use the mark for the exhaust side and the mark on the flywheel......

Did you build the head ? Meaning set the 2 cams in place and then align them ? Essentially using the mark and then again lining up the exhaust cam ........

The exhaust cam is the one that I am concerned with because if you dont have any marks from taking it apart then you must line it up some way right ?

How and what videos would be helpful ?

and my experience has been that with the timIng off just enough it will not start ......

thanks for any help

ok I solved my problem ...... My timing was off 360 degrees it was and was letting the gas out on the exhaust stroke

I hope that helps

·
Registered
2006 Passat 2.0t
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry to hear that, but today I think I found my issue. I had a code for no communication with ecm that everyone was overlooking from my first post. Today I took a chance and picked up a used one from a pull-a-part to see if I get check engine light or anything. I actually have check engine light and others that never showed with org ecm. I try starting and it does run for a few secs and shut off due to immobilizer. Now I have to figure out how to recode that ecm to my car.

As far as videos go there were several that I watched. This is the one I started with after I found damage to cam and cam follower.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts