Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cracked tail light and purchased a used replacement. For the love of German engineering do I need to remove the shelf and Monsoon amplifier to get to one of the nuts? If so, how do I get to all the screws as they appear to be in hard to reach places without removing the interior trim? I saw a thread where drilling a hole in the plastic was on option, but not sure how to drill a large enough hole in that spot. Anyone been through this? Doesn't help that it is 28 degrees in NJ and I have no garage to work in. Thanks

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I've gotten one out without removing the trim but now I just remove the trim. Removing the trim is not that hard and makes the job so much easier.

I start by removing the back seat tops (it's like 1 bolt....), then remove the metal plate at the bottom of the rear hatch, remove the trim on the side, then replace the light and put it all back together. Sounds like a lot of work but I've found it to be the easiest in the long run. It helps to have a 'trim removal tool' or something to pop the snaps out when removing the trim pieces but if you're careful it is not necessary. You might have to pull out the bolster on the seat side also. Once again, 1 bolt at the top (the seat latch), then just pull it up and out. And so on. I can't remember all the details but if you start with the seats it should be obvious.

Oh....and be careful of the plastic tube that sends the washer fluid to the back wiper. It's easy to dislodge it at the corner. I usually add some zip-ties on the connections there just as insurance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've gotten one out without removing the trim but now I just remove the trim. Removing the trim is not that hard and makes the job so much easier.

I start by removing the back seat tops (it's like 1 bolt....), then remove the metal plate at the bottom of the rear hatch, remove the trim on the side, then replace the light and put it all back together. Sounds like a lot of work but I've found it to be the easiest in the long run. It helps to have a 'trim removal tool' or something to pop the snaps out when removing the trim pieces but if you're careful it is not necessary. You might have to pull out the bolster on the seat side also. Once again, 1 bolt at the top (the seat latch), then just pull it up and out. And so on. I can't remember all the details but if you start with the seats it should be obvious.

Oh....and be careful of the plastic tube that sends the washer fluid to the back wiper. It's easy to dislodge it at the corner. I usually add some zip-ties on the connections there just as insurance.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hi. How did you remove the tail gate metal trim?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts