Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally an SUV I could see myself driving: the 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid. They're guning for 35/40mpg city/highway with a slight penalty for the 4wd models.

Check out the details at http://www.fordvehicles.com/escapehybrid/index.asp?bhcp=1

Saturn is supposed to have hybrid power for the VUE too. I imagine it will be teamed to their recent CVT similarly to the Escape.

Now if we could just get SUV drivers to hang up their phones...

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Get ready for the $5-10K dealer markups. I'm not kidding, just wait and see. Oh, and the long waiting lists and "deposits' (read "ransom").

I would let the initial hype die down, and plan on next year's model. Unless you really, really, REALLY want one.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Sharky said:
This months Car and Driver has a writeup about it.

It apparently works pretty darn good.
Yeah, I can't wait to drive one and form my own opinion. If it's got decent power like they say and still gets 30 mpg, it might be my next daily driver.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Scot: OT: Saturn has other things to worry about. Did you catch this? http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/saturn_vue_suspension.html

Federal safety officials have opened an investigation into the Saturn Vue after the suspension failed on two of the SUVs during recent government tests, causing the rear wheels to collapse.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said the agency had received a consumer complaint about a similar incident that led to a rollover. The suspension failures occurred as the agency was following up on that complaint.

The failures occurred on both a four-wheel-drive and a two-wheel-drive Vue. NHTSA said the four-wheel-drive vehicle's suspension failed at 45 miles per hour as it was being put through a series of sharp turns meant to resemble sudden swerves and accident avoidance maneuvers. It didn't say how fast the two-wheel-drive vehicle was going at the time of the failure.
:nervous:

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Toyota/Lexus hybrid has an 8 years/100K miles warranty on all hybrid related parts (including the battery). I wonder how Ford's new hybrid compares to Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive system.

I like the look of the Escape much better than the Toyota Highlander. Kudos to Ford for trying to catch up to the competition. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Don't count on geting mileage that good...the EPA tests don't wrk very good for hybrids...

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
vuvision said:
T... I wonder how Ford's new hybrid compares to Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive system. ...
It is one in the same. Licensed by Ford from Toyota, so I bet that Toyota will make sure it is done right.

Didn't we discuss this ad nauseum a couple of months ago? It's time for Macabre to jump in with the usual condescending pish-poshing....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.