Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of replacing my wifes '00 Passat Variant. We test drove a Phaeton a couple months ago and both fell in love with the Nav. Unfortunately the Phaeton doesn't come in a wagon - also I'm about $40K short for buying a Phaeton. Anybody know when they're going to put Nav in the Passat? If 2005, I may wait. If not in 2005, I may go somewhere other than VW (BMW 325 maybe?).

·
Registered
578 Posts
Navigation has been available as an option in Passat for several years, and there is no need to believe it will not be available in the next model too...

·
Registered
249 Posts
It has been available as an option on the Passat except in North America, where it can be hard and expensive to come by. This has annoyed me for quite some time. I go to Europe all the time and frequently inspect VWs there. VW equips their European variant Passats much better than their US variants. I do not know why they deliberately withhold features from us in the states.

I recently had the pleasure of inspecting the next generation Golf. All I can say is wow! It is extremely well done. I was never a big Golf fan but VW really hit the jackpot with this one (it won't be coming out in the states for a while yet). The interior is much nicer than that of my 2003 GLX Passat wagon. It has a navigation system and cost several thousand less than my Passat.

Anyway, getting back to the Passat and VW withholding features, I think it all boils down to VW trying to stratify Audi in relation to VW. They don't want to put too much equipment on VWs because they believe they would be encroaching on Audi's territory. However, what VW doesn't seem to realize, is that there are other cars out there, such as the Acura TL, that have all these features, and more, for about the same price as a Passat GLX. VW really isn't stratifying Audi in relation to VW, but rather, they are stratifying other car makers who have similar priced cars in relation to VW. VW needs to rethink their marketing strategies if they wish to remain competetive.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Amen!

passwag02 said:
$15 road atlas
I know people must be using Nav systems for some reason but I can't see their overwhelming appeal - other than the cool factor.

I plan my trips out in advance not on the fly. I guess if you travel a lot either for business or pleasure to places you are unfamiliar with it might be useful. I, on the other hand, travel back and forth to work/play on the same roads every day. If I'm going anyplace out of the ordinary, I'm usually flying there not driving.

I guess to each his own. :roll:

·
Registered
333 Posts

·
Registered
26,009 Posts
bibbyjai said:
A6 > $60 K
Acura TL < $35 K
Atlas = $12
Brain Roadmap = Priceless
You forgot:

Wife with no sense of direction=$$$$

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
Vitamin B5! said:
Well I can figure one good reason for the daily commuter to look for a navi in their next vehicle....

New real-time navigation system will take the snarl out of traffic tie-ups

read about it here:

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosconsumer/0404/14/g01-122104.htm
Amen to that

More reasosn to have Navi:

*It finds any restaurant , gas station , mechanic shop , etc.. around

*Some of them can even find people and phone numbers

* If you take a wrong turn you will know imediately amd can hit back on track and the GPS will make another route for you.

* You can find alternate routes to escape heavy traffic.

*You dont have to carry a map of every city in the US.

* Its safer to look at a screen while driving than a paper MAP

* Its really cool. ( My favorite)

And many more , Im sorry but if you are saying the a MAP is the sames as a GPS you have to try a NAVI system .

Fabio

·
Registered
249 Posts
Here is yet another kicker to add to 1.8Tabamourna's list:

I have a 2004 Rand McNally Atlas. On two occasions the atlas was wrong and got me lost, once in Baltimore and once in Washington D.C. The one in Washington DC got me badly lost because the road came to a Y intersection that I was forced to take, and the bend at the Y was one way. I had a hard time getting back. On both occasions, after figuring out where I was I went back to the intersections where I became lost at, parked my car, and compared the streets and street signs to the atlas. The atlas was indeed wrong.

Now, of course, the software in your navigation system can also be wrong, however, when you do get lost, an electronic navigation system can quickly get you reoriented and back on track to your destination. On the other hand when you get lost using a paper atlas, you could be S.O.L. depending on where you are, such as finding yourself on a one-way road, unable to get back to the point where you got lost.

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
Atlas = Old and busted
Navi = The new hotness

I've had navigation system installed for a year and I will never have another car without one. 8)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Cool, how much did you pay if you don't mind my asking? How hard was it to install? Did you get the parts from Airwalk or new from an online store? Thanks.

·
Registered
621 Posts
passwag02 said:
$15 road atlas
... will not tell you to turn at the next intersection. Navi (in speak mode) lets you keep your wheels in motion, your eyes on the road and your hands on the wheel. That's a good combination and an efficient use of time.

TGH

·
Registered
249 Posts
ThosHrubecky said:
passwag02 said:
$15 road atlas
... will not tell you to turn at the next intersection. Navi (in speak mode) lets you keep your wheels in motion, your eyes on the road and your hands on the wheel. That's a good combination and an efficient use of time.

TGH
Amen, bro! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Guys I hate to say this but the VW/Audi Navigation system isn't up to snuff. The geographic updates from Audi are inaccurate and the MFD readout is piss-poor. I'm not pleased with the NAV system that's on my 2004 E-Class but it's leaps and bounds better than Audi/VW's offering.

If you are looking for an awesome NAV system, check out Lexus! :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
19 Participants
citispot
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing