Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lines from the transmission to the cooler in the radiator were damaged. They were cut where they cross under the radiator.

I took off the lines before marking which one goes where on the transmission. I assume that it would make a difference as to where the fluid enters the cooler?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
yep......been there ........ looking under the coolant tank you can see where the two lines enter into the transmission, if memory serves me one of the two is mounted somewhat vertically higher than the other in orientation, the highest one goes to the bottom radiator line ,the lower of the two on the transmission goes to the upper port on the radiator.....you must also fill tranny per spec,level/temp./running etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This may sound a bit stupid but does it make a difference if they are switched?

Would this create more heat in the transmission and cause hard downshifts etc? I ask because that is what is happening now.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
probably low on fluid as to shifting (mileage? service records? )and it does make a slight difference as to hot passing through the top to bottom flow ,the cooler the better with tranny fluid.....I would suggest filter and fluid change and proper fill according to protocol ,lots of tips and instructions in the archives

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! It is due for a filter and fluid change. I will swap the lines to their correct positions then.

We used to run an auxiliary cooler of our rally cars that had triptonic transmissions. Otherwise they just came apart after numerous hours of running hard coated with dirt and mud.

Thanks again for your quick input.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Those lines were damaged on mine as well. Make sure you use hoses rated for trans fluid. When I bought my B5.5 it had the wrong hose material and it was disintegrating and leaking there.

As for the hard downshift... Easy fix -- replace Valve Body Solenoid N91. Super easy while you're in there changing the filter:

https://www.passatworld.com/forums/b5-garage/332044-jerky-downshift-followup.html#post4504125

Just take out a few more bolts to drop the valve body and pop the new solenoid in. Best $100 I ever spent on a transmission repair.

EDIT: N91 Prices have gone up but still available at ECS and some other places. VW Part number is 01V927333C.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts