Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 2005 1.8T GLS Wagon that just stopped running yesterday. My wife and I are moving about 2 hours away and were driving to a storage unit. I had noticed it started having trouble accelerating about half an hour before we arrived, and when I put it in park at the storage unit the engine shut off immediately. We took it to a shop overnight but they didn't figure out what was wrong, and it was running again in the morning. We drove it 2 hours home, then after parking it won't start again. It's getting the codes 299, 171, and 101 Any idea what could be causing this?

Some background on the car, it had a bad catalytic converter a while back that was stopping it from getting any boost from the turbo, so I put in a delete pipe (so the 171 code is normal). It has a small exhaust leak between the turbo and the delete that I've been meaning to fix, but it's been running fine for several months even with that. Also, I put regular gas in it earlier this week for the first time (I don't know why, it was stupid), and I'm wondering if that could have anything to do with it?

We really need a working car right now since we're trying to move out, so any advice to get this working quick would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Assuming you mean codes P0101, P0171, and P0299...

P0101 is MAF Range/Performance, which means it's getting an unreasonable signal from MAF.
P0171 is Fuel Trim Too Lean, which means your MAF is faulty, and/or you have an air leak.
P0299 isn't listed in Bentley

But too lean will for sure keep it from running. Suggest you unplug your MAF--that will force the ECM to use a substitute value, which will let the car run, as long as you don't have a big leak somewhere, too.

(MAF is in the airbox, right front corner of the car.)

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
to add to FG's post to unplug all you have to do is wriggle grommet with wire in center out of top of airbox and slide it back on wire, insert tool to disconnect wire loom/bonnet , (not pulling on wires themselves), from MAF then put grommet back in to seal up

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
they (maf) are easy to replace if indeed it is the problem, but the 1.8s are notoriously a "dirty" engine so a lot of hoses get clogged, or split (vacuum) ,oil in sparkplug "wells" , the diverter valve gets sludged up. I personally love the 1.8s.......NOW that I sorta understand them.....just cannot neglect them, I have seen that fuel trim lean code come up with a "misfire" code. how many miles does it have on it? Need to VAGcom it,assuming you got the codes from the repair shop, the hot/cold issue tends to make me think of the coolant temp or air temp sensors..

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Stalling after putting in Park/Neutral implies a too-lean condition. An air leak will be more of an issue at idle than when cruising, which might be to blame, but the suggestions about the MAF are good ones. Cchief22 mentioned VAG-COM, which might point to a MAF or air leak problem if the grams/second reading was abnormally low. Last year I did a maintenance catch-up on our '99 1.8T, finding a number of cracks in the rubber turbo duct, which I cleaned then sealed. Also some of the PCV parts were in bad shape, so I changed changed those, and now the thing runs like a champ.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I have my MAF and airbox out as I am doing a "major" on my 1.8 and take a reading on the leads (I think) there is 4 ,(will look at Bentley) and see if I can get an ohm reading......

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, so I unplugged the MAF, and now it's starting fine! However, it is still having trouble accelerating. I forgot to mention in the original post, but at the same time it stopped starting, it also stopped accelerating normally. It feels like the turbo isn't working (which happened to me last year because of a clogged catalytic converter). I replaced the turbo and put in a delete pipe less than a year ago. Any ideas why it isn't accelerating? It might have something to do with why the MAF wasn't working too. The only code it's getting now is P0102, which is just because the MAF is unplugged. Thanks!

·
Registered
26,077 Posts
It would be in limp mode, which cuts the boost in half. Fix the other issues (including the exhaust leak), then the boost should come back.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, I'll work on getting the exhaust leak fixed and see if the boost comes back. Any idea why this would have happened all of the sudden? Like I said, the exhaust leak has been there for a couple months and it has been boosting just fine. It just cut out on me randomly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright, so I fixed the big exhaust leak, but it still won't accelerate! I tried reconnecting the MAF, but then it goes back to not even starting. Any suggestions? I was able to borrow a family member's car for a bit, but need to get this running normally again as soon as possible.

·
Registered
26,077 Posts
Without running a MAF flow test, it's tough to say it is the only issue, but yes, it does look like the MAF is faulty.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, I will replace the MAF. Would that have an effect on acceleration, or do you think that's a separate issue? They both happened at the same time.

·
Registered
26,077 Posts
If the MAF is the only issue, it should accelerate normally once the CEL is reset (or goes out on it's own). I've never driven a car with the MAF unplugged, so I don't know how slow they are.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts